Mountain Project Logo

Moving to Wyoming?!

Original Post
Justin Jakimiak · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 10

Hello, Wyoming natives!

I just finished up a Massage therapy program in Michigan, and Wyoming is at the top of my list for places I want to live where I can feed my addiction to rock, and build a practice that works closely with a down to earth and active community. I want to live somewhere that has a lot of climbing within a short drive, and has a very active population, I've lived in various places in Colorado, and would like to distance myself from the hordes of people moving there. Lander was my first instinct for where I would like to go, but It's possible that I might need a bigger city center to support a new business.

So if you would like to add to this conversation,
- I would like to hear where you're living in Wyoming,
-how vibrant the local climbing/outdoor scene is, and how stacked is the local climbing.
- and would you or somebody you know be interested in massage therapy/functional movement/self-care training with the outdoors/adventure type athlete in mind?

Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507

Lander

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Hulett.

Caleb Mallory · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; PNW · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 425

Laradise!

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I am not sure you'll be able to build a business in the places in Wyoming you'd like to live.

It sounds like you'd like to live somewhere with tons of outdoor people who appreciate a good massage therapist and live next to great climbing.

Lander might work. If the market isn't already saturated.

Jackson Hole might work but you'd better be prepared to live elsewhere and commute.

Cheyenne would probably work for your business but Vedauwoo gets old and you'll have to be prepared to drive literally every time you need to put a smile on your face.

Laramie might work, especially if you can find a way to tap into the college market. Better than Cheyenne in most aspects but a further drive to the Front Range.

Maybe Cody but I doubt it.

My experience, grew up in Cheyenne and lived in Laramie during the early 00's. Haven't lived in the state since, am glad that I don't live there, am happy to visit.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
justin Jakimiak wrote:and would you or somebody you know be interested in massage therapy/functional movement/self-care training with the outdoors/adventure type athlete in mind?
Boulder Colorado. Perfect.

Wyoming...not so much.
Chris Schmidt · · Fruita, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0

If you have the right skill set and drive you won't need a city to be successful. There are plenty of good options in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah that would fit the bill.

Take a road trip and pick your favorite and go for it.

jeffrey robinson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0

To give you some perspective, I have been living in Lander for the past three years, the general area for four, and have a pretty intimate knowledge of the massage therapist scene here in town as my baby-momma is in the industry; she seems to be doing decent business, but I know for a fact that the market here is getting saturated and you would likely have a difficult time developing your business as most of the people interested in massage already have people they see on a regular basis. I agree with the person who recommended Boulder. Another option would be Durango; I have heard really great things.

You will likely be broke with a failed business within a year. I can think of at least four other massage therapists in the area besides my baby momma. The reality is that small towns can only support so many people in any given industry, which I think you figured out already given your comment about possibly needing a bigger city center to support your business. Cheyenne and Casper have lots of people but in terms of living there, especially as a climber, I feel you would be less than satisfied. My best advice would be for you to look else where: Missoula, Bozeman, Victor/Driggs, or somewhere in CO.

Hope this helps,
Cheers.

ChadMartino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 45

Thought you were moving to WA?

shredward · · SLC · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5

I actually heard an add on the radio yesterday while I was driving from lander to SLC that was advertising space for a massage therapist to open a practice in Green River. High desert tan maybe?? can't believe I am remembering this, I guess advertising works.

Justin Jakimiak · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 10

Thanks for the input folks! And I'm still open to more here.
It's not entirely necessary to have a huge city to build a practice, 50-75 regular clients can sustain a small private practice.

Im in the process of doing my research and won't be moving until next spring or summer, lander is just one option, so it's nice to have the flexibility at the moment.

Again, I appreciate all of the feedback, and I think it's important to hear from real people when it comes to researching relocation plans. Grazie.

Aaron Danforth · · Cody, WY · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 0

Don't let people talk you out of Wyoming. I live in Cody, and while it's unlikely you'd get rich, I think you'd do well. The massage therapists I know are generally booked out 2-3 months, especially if they do good work with athletes. Take a road trip and come check things out, I'll give you a tour.

Jim Bob Schell · · Laramie, WY · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 40

Laramie is the bomb, you will learn to love the wide! Veadawoo is stacked with over 1000 routes! Someone earlier said it gets old, not sure they were looking very hard. The routes are all within a 20-30 minute drive from town. The mountain biking is superb, winter recreation is great, Lander is 3 hours, Poudre Canyon climbing is bomber and about an hour away. Guernsey state park is about 2 hours with over 200 routes and all three of those places can be good in the winter at times. I am from Jackson originally and love it there, but the barriers to entry for work and cost of rent is extreme. Laradise calling, and I don't think our market for your industry is over saturated. College kids probably won't pay you what you are worth, but the living is easy.

Mike McNeil · · Spearfish, South Dakota · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,555

Spearfish may have what you want though it is in SD but not by much.

Tony T · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 45

I can almost hear that small voice in the back of the Wyoming people's heads saying, "It's begun and we're on our way to becoming the next Crowd-orado in my lifetime. I wonder how Montana is this time of year?"

Just a little light hearted humor. Best of luck in your move from a fellow Michigander!

Wilburn · · Boise, ID · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 386

Justin - I've been in Cheyenne for about 6 months and I hope my limited perspective can provide some insight.

The local climbing/outdoor scene here is limited. There is a small handful of dedicated climbers in Cheyenne and a slightly larger handful of dedicated mountain bikers. Hunting and fishing are the go-to recreation activities in the Cheyenne area. The community here is pretty sedentary so I don't imagine a large demand for your skills.

Vedauwoo is the go-to area nearby and it is beyond stacked. Even with guidebooks are MP there are still unlisted areas I'm finding or being shown.The four hour drive to Lander and Ten Sleep isn't horrible, considering I'm used to 3 and 6 hours for City of Rocks and Smith respectfully. You also have all of N. Colorado about 2 hours away, which is nice when you're tired of heel-toes and chicken wings.

Cheyenne is the capitol so it does attract a slightly more affluent population, but I haven't sensed that many/any of them are die-hard weekend warriors.

Hope the info is helpful.

Madison Smalley · · Horton, AL · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0
jeffrey robinson wrote: To give you some perspective, I have been living in Lander for the past three years, the general area for four, and have a pretty intimate knowledge of the massage therapist scene here in town as my baby-momma is in the industry; she seems to be doing decent business, but I know for a fact that the market here is getting saturated and you would likely have a difficult time developing your business as most of the people interested in massage already have people they see on a regular basis. I agree with the person who recommended Boulder. Another option would be Durango; I have heard really great things. You will likely be broke with a failed business within a year. I can think of at least four other massage therapists in the area besides my baby momma. The reality is that small towns can only support so many people in any given industry, which I think you figured out already given your comment about possibly needing a bigger city center to support your business. Cheyenne and Casper have lots of people but in terms of living there, especially as a climber, I feel you would be less than satisfied. My best advice would be for you to look else where: Missoula, Bozeman, Victor/Driggs, or somewhere in CO. Hope this helps, Cheers.

I plan on living here when I get older and finish college, do you have any advice on what I should go to college for so it’ll fit my home life in WY? 

Ģnöfudør Ðrænk · · In the vicinity of 43 deg l… · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 2
Madison Smalley wrote:

I plan on living here when I get older and finish college, do you have any advice on what I should go to college for so it’ll fit my home life in WY? 

Best bet is nurse or doctor, and then any other health care related, e.g.  xray, dental, veterinary, anesthesia, physical therapy, etc.  Pay might be lower than average but you can work anywhere you want.

Worst options are STEM and natural resources.  Lots of jobs related to oil, coal, forestery, but while the pay might be good, the jobs are highly unstable.
Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989
Tony T. wrote: I can almost hear that small voice in the back of the Wyoming people's heads saying, "It's begun and we're on our way to becoming the next Crowd-orado in my lifetime. I wonder how Montana is this time of year?" Just a little light hearted humor. Best of luck in your move from a fellow Michigander!

I’ve heard that voice several times. Early 80s oil boom, late 90s/early 00s gas boom, now. Still hasn’t happened. Wyoming won’t grow because the overwhelming majority of people who live here don’t want it to grow, and it’s going to take them dying and their kids moving back to change that.

Seriously, Wyoming used to have the highest average age in the country, because people turn 18 or finish college, realize there’s nothing here for them, and leave. A lot never come back. So what crowds there are show up on the weekends, clustered near the interstate.
I might be bitter. The company I work for, that I thought would keep me in Wyoming for the long haul, just relocated me to California. And the subtext of that relocation was “relocate for us, or relocate for somebody else. Either way, there’s no jobs for you here”.
Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989
Madison Smalley wrote:

Health care or petrochemical. Or get really ok with tending bar, waiting tables, or driving a cash register.

Arlo F Niederer · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 515

Hi Justin.

Wyoming native here, graduate of Univ. of Wyoming - lived in Wyoming a total of 36 years, in Rock Springs, Laramie, and Jackson Hole.

One thing that nobody mentioned yet is the climate.  Many places in Wyoming are too cold and/or snowy to climb throughout the winter.  In Jackson Hole, rock climbing is very brutal from about Nov. 1 through May 1.  However, if you like mountaineering or back country skiing the winter months can be used to your advantage.  Even millionaires have a hard time affording housing...

Laramie is the highest University in the US, and can suffer from bad winters like Jackson Hole, with some winter climbing/skiing in the snowy range.

Lander can be a bit better over the winter with Sinks Canyon.

The biggest problem is that a small population and small cities leads to small climbing communities. Some of the smaller communities with ample climbing opportunities are probably too small to support a massage therapist.

As far as the suggestions of Boulder and other front range communities, the cost of housing has gone through the roof, and there is ample competition from other massage therapists.

But no income tax and low taxes are a definite advantage to Wyoming.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Moving to Wyoming?!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started