Stone Mountain Gear

Original Post
Jack Servedio · · Raleigh,NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 20

I've yet to be out to Stone Mountain, but am going to be out there this fall with my brother and want to get up at the very least the Great Arch without bringing the kitchen sink. I've read all kinds of gear suggestions from "standard rack" to "bring 6x #1 C4s if you got em" - so I wanted to get a decent idea of what gear I actually should be bringing.

Is doubles from .5 to 2 C4s with singles of the small stuff, passive, and double runners for trees reasonable?

Andrew Blease · · Bartlett, NH · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 340

A rack of singles will be fine. You will need much less gear than that for the rest of the face climbs.

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 748

Depends on how often you want to protect and how solid you are. You're probably not gonna fall off, but a rack of singles is pushing it with a rack of singles. The first pitch starts with a 3 and goes from 2 to tight 1. Doubles would probably be fine. Singles- you'll be protecting every 20ft or so. Not unreasonable considering the climb, but it'd be shitty to get up there and think "man, I sure wish I had more pro". One extra in the hand sizes doesn't weigh much. Just my opinion.

Jake Jones wrote:Depends on how often you want to protect and how solid you are. You're probably not gonna fall off, but a rack of singles is pushing it with a rack of singles. The first pitch starts with a 3 and goes from 2 to tight 1. Doubles would probably be fine. Singles- you'll be protecting every 20ft or so. Not unreasonable considering the climb, but it'd be shitty to get up there and think "man, I sure wish I had more pro". One extra in the hand sizes doesn't weigh much. Just my opinion.
That's what I was thinking. I am fine protecting every 20 feet or more on 5.5 slab and I'm not going to fall off, but I do like having an extra piece or two to plug in when something looks a little sketchy or I hit a wet spot.

Plus, I was thinking having the extra gear and some smaller would be nice for getting to tree ledge in 1 pitch.
Chris Whisenhunt · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 930

The arch takes gear?

calebmmallory · · Seattle, N.Carolina, &Hong ... · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 175

The arch needs gear?

Chris Whisenhunt wrote:The arch takes gear?
So I've heard. Apparently someone went and put this big corner crack there so it could be climbed by those of us without having these balls:
TomCaldwell · · Clemson, S.C. · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 2,443

Doubles in the hand size would be helpful. You can back clean and walk pieces on the Great Backache. There is a technique to doing this thing, don't lay it back, or you'll be sorry.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply