Looking for haul bag and hauling device advice

Original Post
wcayler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

We are gearing up for our first biggish wall, south face of Washington Coloumn and would like some advice on a haul bag and haul device. The ultimate goal is to do the nose in about a year and a half after a couple smaller walls. I have been looking into haul bags and hauling devices. Will a micro traction be suitable to effectively haul a the largest BD/metolious haul bag full of gear for the nose, or do I need to get a bigger haul device? What size haul bag do people usually use for the nose when they are doing it in the normal time frame? I've read people perfer one large bag for the nose because it makes the lower outs easier. Would really like to not have to purchase different gear solely for the small walls and the nose at first. Thanks for any help!

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

The Metolius El Cap bag is awesome. Just be sure to line it with one of those cheap blue foam pads, otherwise anything hard next to the side will rub a hole through on your first wall.

A Micro Traxion will haul a big bag, but if you're going to buy something, go with the Pro Traxion. It has a pulley better suited to the job, plus it's really nice to be able to clip it in and still be able to open the side plate to load the rope. In the end it's a little more expensive, but a lot better for the job. It will likely last through multiple walls better than the micro.

Also look up Mark Hudon's 2:1 haul rig, if you're not very big, or your load is really big and want to make hauling a bit easier.

Also, you need a ton of locking carabiners. So many things to lock and keep safe.

Have fun!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply