Dating as a Climber

Original Post
Laronicus Lehmanold · · Salt Lake, UT · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 175

Over the last two years climbing has slowly become my top priority in life. I pretty much leave work and head to the mountains to climb, or to do some cardio to maintain my climbing weight. Now that the desire for companionship is back I am finding it hard to date. The ladies I have dated are surprised, and many lose interest, when they realize how obsessed I am with rocks. One even told me, "you are like a drug addict." Haha.

What stories do you have about dating as a climber?

How do you find someone to date that is as passionate (obsessed) with climbing as you? (:

Cheers.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

Remember that climbing is just a recreational activity for most and adds almost nothing to society. There are more important things in life, even to many climbers.

If all you talk about to your prospective date is climbing, well, the results will speak for themselves.

Edit: Imagine meeting someone and all they talk about is ping-pong. How they can't wait to play again, what type of paddle they have and how much fun it is. "God, I live, and love, to play ping-pong." Pretty boring, huh?

"God, I live, and love, to play ping-pong."

If Ping-pong is a metaphor for climbing I am into it. I cannot wait to play ping-pong again. Life is climbing, and climbing is life, to me. Haha.

Andy P. · · Wisconsin · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 50

Finding someone who is already into climbing (I assume you like girls) is almost impossible. (1)If they are at the rock gym, they are already taken, because every girl at the gym gets asked out probably 5X a visit. (2)Or perhaps they were drawn to climbing because of the indie/alternative lifestyle associated with it, i.e. a committed relationship is not something they are cool with at this point in life. (3)They are just there to shop the gun show and get attention. (4)They are actually into climbing more than you, are somewhat unattractively buff, and can't talk about anything other than climbing (this is your problem, OP)!

On the other hand, meeting a non-climber and getting them into climbing is a good bet. Just don't pick people who aren't good to date in the first place... You'll actually have to spend some weekends in town going on traditional dates, if you can handle not being in the mountains for a few days :/

"They are actually into climbing more than you, are somewhat unattractively buff, and can't talk about anything other than climbing"

Haha. Buff ladies who climb are sexy as hell. I used to be about 235 lbs (currently around 155-160). Ever since I lost all that weight I have a little bit of a bias against fat people (even if it is just a little around the waist). Haha. I think I want to find a unicorn. Yup, a unicorn.

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128
Laronicus Lehmanold wrote: How do you find someone to date that is as passionate (obsessed) with climbing as you? (: Cheers.
At the crag. I cant even remember the last time I've dated a non-climber. It's probably been at least seven years. Nearly all of my previous dates were snagged at the crag, except for one girl who I found through MP.com. Maybe MP.com can start MPMatch.com for you?
rocknice2 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 2,958

mpmatch.com members.
20,000 men : 100 women.
All the women are Eleanor.

SinRopa · · parts unknown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 15
Andy P wrote: unattractively buff
Does not compute.
Brent Apgar · · Out of the Loop · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 35
Laronicus Lehmanold wrote:Now that the desire for companionship is back I am finding it hard to date.
Clearly you're losing your psych to climb.
Alexander Stathis · · Athens, GA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

A good friend of mine once told me "You don't want to date a climber. You want to date an outdoor action sports photography enthusiast."

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

You need to find your best friend who could be molded into a climber.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Yeah that's what love is all about. Changing someone into your idea of the ideal mate. It's definitely not about finding someone you appreciate for who they already are.

Wally · · Denver · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 0

If climbing is your focus. Which it clearly is. Date a motivated. Not a wannabe climber.

Romb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I turned to this company for a couple to find a date. Was very pleased. Wedding

normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 50

My niece, originally exclusively a gym climber, has been using various dating apps to ask men to take her climbing outside. The people she's approached are the ones that made climbing central to their profile. Maybe that could be a strategy for you.

Ben Stabley · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 151

Give up.

Downtownt Kay · · Everett, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 55
Ben Stabley wrote:Give up.
this.

sorry, not sorry I can't win: unattractively buff but thick enough to twerk to the top of some onsight attempts.

I was dating on and off a bit this year and would get back into to town with messages of 'i miss you' or 'i'm thinking about you.'
funny, because i was focused on the rock. i cut it all out. timing is everything.

i tried dating a climber but he was too into soloing for me to want to become emotionally involved.

can't win.

climb rocks and have intentional intimacy, but dating?

meh.
doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 212
normajean wrote:My niece, originally exclusively a gym climber, has been using various dating apps to ask men to take her climbing outside. The people she's approached are the ones that made climbing central to their profile. Maybe that could be a strategy for you.
The OP may want to work on his anchoring before he starts taking dates on climbs. There is some crazy ass tethering going on in one of his profile pics.
Downtownt Kay · · Everett, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 55
doligo wrote: ass tethering.
;)
doligo wrote: The OP may want to work on his anchoring before he starts taking dates on climbs. There is some crazy ass tethering going on in one of his profile pics.
That it is. We have learned a lot since that day on top of the lightning bird. The picture you viewed was the second climbing trip of my life, and we had no idea what we were doing. Haha. I am glad everyone came home safe.
Downtownt wrote: messages of 'i miss you' or 'i'm thinking about you.' funny, because i was focused on the rock.
Haha. The few ladies who have shown interest do the same. "How are you?" "What are you up to?" and other bs like that. After I do not respond until the next day, or not at all I usually get the "it is me not you" "my heart is still with an ex from my past" text messages. Haha. After trying to date I have come to realize something- I do not care anymore. I am 30, 2 years deep into my climibing career, and ready to send more rocks. No rush on the whole romance thang- I stick my hands in enough cracks as it is. (;
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply