Diamond Rappels with 80m?

Original Post
Jonathan Awerbuch · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 15

Does anyone know if the Diamond rappels can be done with a single 80m? Seems like it might be a nice alternative to the extra cluster of twin ropes or carrying a tag line.

Alternately, does anyone have good advice on how to stack twins/doubles over your tie-in while belaying and not end up with a tangled mess when paying the ropes back out?

WadeM · · Golden, Co · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 215

Practice!

Twins are easier for this reason rather than doubles because the leader treats the ropes as one strand. So its not as important to keep the ropes from twisting.

Unless you are doing mega link pitches I feel the 80m is most work. You could always go up and over. You can also rappel with a 70 if you know where you are going

Jonathan Awerbuch · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 15

Thanks Wade. I think I made it more difficult on myself by getting 7.3mm double ropes a couple years ago. They are really nice sometimes, and have held up well, but they tangle more easily than thicker lines. I'll use them again this weekend for a couple of routes and see if I can do better.

I want to have enough rope to bail quickly if weather moves in, but I'm wondering if less than 120m (double ropes) would be enough. I do often end up linking pitches for a full 60m, so I don't want shorter doubles. Just thinking...

Don Ferris · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0

With the standard raps? No. But there are tat anchors all over the place...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply