Devils Lake Heli Today

Original Post
Seth Jones · · New Lenox, IL · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 25

I saw what looked like a medical heli land over by the east bluff today and take off shortly after. Anyone know what was going on? Hoping everyone is alright. Regardless, be safe out there.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110

I misread the post title as 'Devils Lake Hell today". Was looking to read an interesting story of chaos and climbers fighting it out for routes up on the cliffs; big church groups vs. top rope tangles, vs. lead climbers vs. guided outings,,,etc.
Do any local SAR groups use the park for practice flights and cliff high angle simulations? I know how very involved the local rescue groups are down at the RRG all year long,,,but never really knew if there was much of an organized cliff-rescue effort in the Baraboo area for use at the park. Anybody know?

Haha sorry to ruin your fun Woodchuck!

I was just out for little walk with the family on our way through the area and didn't even go up the bluff. Hoping the heli was just there for training but both other times I have seen it there was for an emergency evac. It gave me the chills when I saw it come in.

With the proximity to big cities, noob's out of the gyms and general chaos overall, I am surprised there are not more bad climbing accidents at DL in these years. Have only seen a couple awful ones in the past 35+ years....one or two is enough for a life time, really.

James Schroeder · · Sauk County, WI · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,042

Seth,

What time did it land? I was there from about 9a-4p and only saw the red sightseeing helicopter around 2p or so.

James M Schroeder wrote:Seth, What time did it land? I was there from about 9a-4p and only saw the red sightseeing helicopter around 2p or so.
Ah, that was it. I just caught a glimpse of it looking like it was headed down then didn't hear it again until it came by a few min later so assumed it landed. Good to hear it was sightseers. Thanks James.

In other news, we stopped by the lake on our way back home yesterday and I climbed like a huge pussy for about an hour before sulking and going home.

I talked to a guy who said rattler had just been spotted on the CCC trail so watch where your step!
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Blame the weather. It's slick season!

James Schroeder · · Sauk County, WI · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,042

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI5IA8assfk

Ted Pinson wrote:Blame the weather. It's slick season!
It was surprisingly dry. I wish I could use the conditions as an excuse but I was just acting like a scared little bitch on lead :)

F'n Milli Vinilli LOL!
Ben Smith · · On the road, USA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 280

https://youtu.be/rfjtpp90lu8?t=48s

Ted Pinson wrote:Blame the weather. It's slick season!
You got that right. Summer humidity + click no-friction quartzite + wet lichens coating the rocks = ' you can't climb here at ALL for next 4 months!" Fall season is just the best for temps, low humidity and great rock texture against the shoes. If we dont' get a big monsoon fall season, that is.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply