What to do in Hawaii?

Original Post
John mac · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 105

Going to the Big Island next month and I am soliciting suggestions of awesome things to do. My wife will be 6 months pregnant so it has to be fairly mellow.

Is it worth throwing my climbing shoes in to Boulder or DWS if I am with all family who does not climb? For example is there bouldering at a beach or area that is nice otherwise?

doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 277

I wouldn't bother, we went to check out the known DWS spot and the riptide was pretty rough. Even if it was mellow, it looked like you had to be a very strong open ocean swimmer to get out of there. We ran into two locals (it's a popular cliff jumping area) and one didn't even dare to.

Are you staying in Hilo side or Kona side? If you are staying on Kona side and plan on going to the Volcano NP, I would get a cheap room in Hilo and stay there overnight - the drive from Kona side and then the drive through the park will drain you.

There is some incredible snorkeling on Big Island, I would plan on spending couple of days doing that. We found some off the beaten path spots that were incredible. I would also check out Pu’uhonua o Honaunau NP - I thought it was pretty neat.

Feel free to PM me. I've got beta on good beaches. Strangely, beach access is not straightforward there, unless you are staying at one of the posh resorts.

John mac · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 105

Thanks!

We are spending some time on both sides, so we will do Volcano's from the Hilo side.

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

There is DWS at Southpoint...looked scary. Oahu does have very good climbing however. Otherwise, what Doligo said.

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Yeah, almost forgot. Flowing lava is cool. We hiked in from Kalapana, & it took less than an hour. That was in 2007, and the flow may have moved.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply