Releasing the "auto locking" munter

Original Post
Matt Carroll · Aug 18, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 5
So I've used the auto locking variation of the munter (clipping a biner though the hitch and to the load strand) a few times. I realized during the bit that if the climber were to weight the rope and needed to be lowered it would require a decent amount of shenanigans. Am I missing something? any tricks to making this happen? Belaying off the harness with a redirect would be the easiest solution, but in this case I was already belaying off the anchor.

FrankPS · Aug 18, 2016 · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Matt,

Out of curiosity, why would you be belaying with a locking Munter rather than a device which allows for lowering (ATC Guide, Gri-Gri, etc.)? Is it just to practice using the Munter?

Matt Carroll · Aug 18, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 5
FrankPS wrote:Matt, Out of curiosity, why would you be belaying with a locking Munter rather than a device which allows for lowering (ATC Guide, Gri-Gri, etc.)? Is it just to practice using the Munter?
I had forgotten an ATC. (Happens way more then it should)

eli poss · Aug 18, 2016 · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 136
If the autoblock biner has a keylock nose you should be just slide the hitch off by unclipping it.

Gunkiemike · Aug 19, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,850
IMO anyone using this to belay should be familiar enough with it to understand its limitations. Personally I don't use it b/c I treat it as totally unreleasable under a full load. Why would I want that? Even if I'm just hauling up a pack with it, sometimes you need to lower the bag a bit to bump it past an obstacle.

Buff Johnson · Aug 19, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 545
The climber can usually just unweight it just enough for you to make the switch. Or climb up the rope. For the full on unresponsive free-hanging climber, some instruction and practice seems warranted. I carry cord for rigging switches, certainly also possible to use the soft side of the mainline to hitch a tractor.

Matt Carroll · Aug 19, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 5
After using it I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle of not being able to provide slack/lowering. Just using a standard munter is far more useful. I guess I wouldn't have known of this problem if I hadn't used it though. I don't remember reading about that issue when I learned it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply