Mountain Project Logo

Beginner Trad Climbing in and around Seattle

Original Post
BrunoPoco · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I will be moving to Seattle for the Fall. I would like some trad route recommendations. I'm an experienced trad climber but trying to find some fun multi-pitch and/or alpine/ peaks routes to introduce my girlfriend to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90

Leavenworth area has some great climbing. Midway/Saber at Castle rock would be great multi-pitch routes to start out on.

Thanks Brian L.

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Bozeman, Montana · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

Make the weekend trip to Squamish. Probably about 60-90 minutes further than Leavenworth, and the climbing is superb. But it rains a lot.

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 483

If you go for alpine in the fall just be prepared for the weather forecast to not always be accurate. I've been snowed on in the enchantments and WA pass.

The tooth at Snoqualmie Pass is a fun cruiser day out if the weather is nice. Stop by the Aardvark for some the best food at what looks like a coffee stand after. It's worth the climb just for the food.

Consider R&D at leavenworth for another cragging multi pitch option.
West Ridge of Prusik is classic and easy, but the weather is so fickle.

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Leavenworth. Midway direct is easy but exposed and spicy. Icicle creek butress is pretty easy, fun for a begginer. Outerspace is a classic, but its hard for 5.9, and scary if your gf doesn't have the best head.

I second the tooth. Great intro to alpine climbing, but long approach and if you don't know the way expect some bushwacking and boulder hopping.

Squamish is a blast, but all the low level multi-pitch on the chief (apron) is pretty slabby and run out. Lots of rain in the fall.

Try Leavenworth first. I climbed there year round when I lived in Seattle. Have fun and be safe!

Thanks so much Nick and Dan. I can't to get into those mountians!!!!

MikeSLC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 40

Index, Great Northern Slab area.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply