Mountain Project Logo

Uploading large map to MP

Original Post
. · · Asheville NC · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 540

Hi general MP question here
I have a superb 10MB map of Linville Gorge but every time I upload it to MP the quality is suppressed and it becomes unusable is there a way to upload this differently?
much thanks!

here is the map, but i dont want to host it long term, super easy to save this to a moblie device for reference.
drive.google.com/folderview…;usp=sharing

Ryan Nevius · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 904

Have you considered converting the image to PNG, rather than JPG? The graphic contains only a handful of simple colors, and may work better as a PNG. Worth a shot at least...

Nick Wilder · · The Bubble · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 2,416

You could post a link to it on the appropriate pages (use the "Improve" button). But it doesn't appear to be home-made, so unless you've got permission to post it, or it's in the public domain (which is possible - a lot of government maps are), it would be a copyright violation to post it on MP anyways.

Ryan Nevius · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 904

There's Lincensing info contained right on the image itself...

. · · Asheville NC · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 540

Great suggestion Ryan Nevius, I will give that a try.

Go ahead and look at the map it says in the bottom right it has a creative commons licence and was crowd sourced some of which comes from the GOV. My interpretation of that is that if I am not making money off it, I am free to share it. It is shared frequently on FB. unless I am mistaken I don't believe I am breaking any rules/laws by posting it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply