Need Advice - Recommendations

Original Post
JDMCO · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

Going to be in Vancouver BC this weekend (SAT-SUN).

Couple of questions:
1. Should i try to go climb somewhere? is there a cool place near vancouver (closer than squamish) that is worth while and cool?

2. Should i just go up to squamish for saturday / saturday afternoon?

Would like to climb sport (so i dont have to pack my rack), I probably climb 10b sport, and will be with my gf, so some mellow moderates would be super sick, single pitch probably preferred as climbing is not the main reason for being there.

OR-

Should i just not even bother with trying to climb?

Appreciate some guidance PNW experts!

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

There is a really beautiful spot in Vancouver called light house point that has some top ropes. You rap down a cliff and belay right on the water.

But seriously just go to Squamish! Murrin park has some good sport and is a little closer to Vancouver than Squamish proper with little approach. You can literally drive up there get some climbs in and be back in vancouver in 4 hours.

Have fun.

Thanks Dan.

Think we will check out murrin park.

crackatoa Spiesbach · · Boulder,Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 70

Isn't squamish like .. an hour away? why miss out on that

DRusso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 365

I would say go to Squamish. You can camp at Chek(the sport crag) for free. It certainly has enough climbing for 2 days. The climb Star Chek( mountainproject.com/v/star-...) is a must do multi-pitch sport climb that doesn't have any moves harder than 5.8 but you climb an awesome arete feature over a raging river.

Thanks again everyone.

We are going to actually drive up to whistler saturday via the sea to sky and stay there, so pretty much anything along the way is up for grabs.

That star chek route looks pretty cool!

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

If thats the case and you want to sport climb definitely stop at Cheakemus Canyon.

I was under the impression you were short on time and had obligations in Vancouver.

If you stop at chek you have to get on Kigijiushi at the main event. Its a classic 10c.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply