Daks - what dries fastest?

Original Post
wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 84

we just got to Schoon Lake & things are soggy. What would be the best bet for seeking dry rock?

gblauer Blauer · · Wayne, PA · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 710

go to deadwater

ClimbLikeAGirl · · Keene Valley · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 15

What kinda of grades are you looking for? Deadwater and Pitchoff dry fast and are good options with lots of grade variety. Potter Cliff at Silver Lake is also a good choice.

wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 84

It is currently pouring hard. I can climb gunks / n Conway easy 10s. My partner can climb into the 11s. Not sure how that translates into daks!

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,411

Many of the routes at the beer walls will dry quick today (West facing wall, a Northwest wind, and eventually some sun). There's also nothing above them, they're not on the side of a mountain, so runoff is minimal/quick. many grades to choose from!

I would imagine the Spider's Web would also dry quick, also West facing but mostly (slightly) overhanging.

MaxSuffering · · KVNY · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 5

It's probably the same in Schroon Lake but it literally JUST stopped raining in Keene Valley. On the other hand it's been a very dry summer so my glass-half-full side says things will dry quickly once the sun comes out.

If your partner can lead low-end .11 check out P1 of Kingdom Come at King Wall while you wait for other things to dry. This stays dry no matter how hard it's raining. Chronic Fixation will dry almost as soon as the rain stops. Next to Kingdom Come is a .12a TR and Four Guns Blazing which can be TR'd by clipping the F.G.B. anchor as you lower.

My go-to cliffs after rain are: Frosted Mug area of the Beer Walls, Tilman's Arete, Pitchoff, Hurricane, Potter Mt. and C-Chimney. The surface of the Spiders Web will dry quickly but sometimes after a hard rain (like yesterday) the inside of the cracks will stay wet for a bit. Esthasia is probably the first to dry out, Dacker Cracker the last... but like I said it's been very dry so you may get lucky.

Edit to add: Prelude -> Overture, Flashdance (P1+2 and link to Overture keeps the grade at .9+) and Weekend Warrior at Upper Washbowl are all good and known for drying quickly.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

It's crazy windy in Hague, half hour from Schroon, right now. I would imagine things will dry quickly. I'm going to head out and hope for the best.

crackatoa Spiesbach · · Boulder,Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 70

If you can climb 5.10/5.11 sport go to the king wall..
1) its beautifull and a stunning setting
2) you can climb several climbs even during a rain storm and stay dry.. pitch one and two of kingdome come clock in at 5.11b but I think they felt pretty doable. Short well protected cruxes. ( I can't climb much harder than 10+ normally)
3) It's a 30 minutes hike and you manage to get a pristine backcountry solitude experience.

Alissa Doherty · · Boston, MA · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 105

Deadwater dries so fast, it's my go-to! Get on Tombstone and Reach for the Sky :)

Hey Alissa, were you at Spiders Web last weekend? I think you got on Drop, Fly right after me, I didn't get a chance to ask how it went.

MaxSuffering wrote:Hey Alissa, were you at Spiders Web last weekend? I think you got on Drop, Fly right after me, I didn't get a chance to ask how it went.
If you mean two weekends ago, then yes! Were you in the group of three? It went great--such a phenomenal climb. I spent a long time milking the rests but managed to send and avoid the sun :)
Alissa Doherty wrote: If you mean two weekends ago, then yes! Were you in the group of three? It went great--such a phenomenal climb. I spent a long time milking the rests but managed to send and avoid the sun :)
Yeah, that was us. Awesome! Drop, Fly is a proud send. Finding the rests and milking the hell out of them is the key to a lot of routes up there. Great job.
MaxSuffering wrote: Yeah, that was us. Awesome! Drop, Fly is a proud send. Finding the rests and milking the hell out of them is the key to a lot of routes up there. Great job.
It felt like a proud send. Psyched to check out a few more lines there this weekend!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply