Mountain Project Logo

Echo cliffs climbing in the summer?

Original Post
dsauerbrun · · Boulder · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 55

Hi all,

I'm looking into heading up to echo cliffs for some climbing. I know a lot of the wall gets sun but I figure since it's a bunch of dihedrals I might be able to chase shade...

Could anyone help me form a shade itenirary for the day? I'm looking for 10's and up to 11b.

Thanks!
Dan

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

After 2pm .....

Warm up on the first two climbs on your left,- the left most one- Miss Pacman when your looking into the Grotto. These were the original climbs, they share an anchor.

The Left Flank, Bee Line, goes into shade about 3pm....

Go a bit more and the Pink Wall is now cooled off some.... climb Cloud 9. Some good 11s are there and you can rig a TR from C9.

The Tea Room is shady from about 2p ....

The Guillotine is shady from about 2p also...

Bring a head lamp for the hike out.

have fun

thanks for the beta!

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

Anytime.

have fun

Joe Wysznski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 230

Java wall has shade from sunrise till about 1130am. Get up early and hike out there at sunrise and enjoy the best 11's at echo. Espresso 11a, caffiene 11b, americano 11a, and a little harder but cappuccino 11c and java 11d.

Shayna H · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 40

I went to Echo with a partner last weekend - the heat definitely made the hike out a bit brutal, so I would second all these suggestions to head out early.

We found great shady success with the Tea Room (mostly 10s). We were there from about 12 to 2, and it was shady most of the time - except for a very brief period (probably about 20 mins) when the sun is directly over the alcove.

btw, im also looking for partners in the la area. I'll be here until sept 6 and lead around 11b.

Joe Wysznski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 230

Pm sent for next weekend.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply