Mountain Project Logo

Thanksgiving Climbing Abroad

Original Post
Ethan Ciolkevich · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 20

My buddy and I have been looking to go to Spain or Thailand for 2 weeks over Thanksgiving. However, I read that the weather is not the best in either place at that time. Thus, I'm looking for your beta on where to go outside the US for 5.12+ harder sport climbing (and maybe some trad). I'd appreciate your experience over that time frame for the area you climbed. Cheers!

jlr climb · · Glasgow, Scotland · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

Might look into Geyikbayiri (Antalya, Turkey). It's far enough from the troubles of the rest of Turkey with thousands of climbs...and even if you didn't want to fly through Istanbul, the other major European hubs (e.g., Paris, London, Amsterdam) would have flights to it. Kalymnos may also be an option, and it's also quite inexpensive.

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 11,120

Spain is a big place, with a wide range of temperatures and weather patterns available with great climbing.

Seems unlikely that every single good climbing region in Spain has not-so-good weather in November. What's wrong with the weather in Spain? Too hot? Too cold? Too wet?

Anyway Sharon and I routinely go to southeast France / Mediterranean coast around Thanksgiving or early December. And we normally have a great time doing our multiple sports of single-pitch climbing, multi-pitch or easy solo sea-cliff routes, and road-cycling, and some hiking / trail running. Occasionally with early snow up north, we drive to the French Alps and go skiing.

Main risk we've found is some days are a bit cold or a windy. So we guessed that being in Spain would solve that problem.

. (lots of UK climbers think El Chorro is a great place to climb over Christmas / New Years).

Ken

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply