Drop in day care for visiting climbers


Original Post
Maggie Michalowski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Hey I'm hoping to find some parents in Vegas who can recommend a drop in day care place for an infant and toddler while we climb. Closer to red Rock is better but we'll go where we need to go for higher quality.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

hmm...maybe try the Red Rock Casino?!? I know they have a daycare and I believe peeps use it for going to the movies, gambling , etc...

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

I'd be leery about leaving my child at a stranger's day care. I'd be reluctant to leave my dogs with a kennel I didn't have really good references for. I guess different people have different levels of comfort and risk tolerance.

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 20

Frank,
You fears are out of line with abuse data....

From AmericanHumane.org:

Who Are the Perpetrators?
Perpetrators of child abuse or neglect are most often the child’s own parents. According to NCANDS, in 2005, 79.4 percent of perpetrators were parents and 6.8 percent were other relatives. The largest remaining categories of perpetrators were the unmarried partner of a child’s parent (3.8 percent) and other perpetrators (4.1 percent). In 3.6 percent of child maltreatment cases the perpetrators were missing or unknown. In under 1 percent of child maltreatment cases the perpetrator was a foster parent, residential facility staff, the child’s daycare provider, a legal guardian, friends or neighbors, or other professionals (USDHHS, 2007).

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Nathan Self wrote:Frank, You fears are out of line with abuse data.... From AmericanHumane.org: Who Are the Perpetrators? Perpetrators of child abuse or neglect are most often the child’s own parents. According to NCANDS, in 2005, 79.4 percent of perpetrators were parents and 6.8 percent were other relatives. The largest remaining categories of perpetrators were the unmarried partner of a child’s parent (3.8 percent) and other perpetrators (4.1 percent). In 3.6 percent of child maltreatment cases the perpetrators were missing or unknown. In under 1 percent of child maltreatment cases the perpetrator was a foster parent, residential facility staff, the child’s daycare provider, a legal guardian, friends or neighbors, or other professionals (USDHHS, 2007).
Yeah, but what about abuse at a kennel? :)

Those stats are impressive, but does that mean you shouldn't do your due diligence on a child care provider? (that's a rhetorical question) I still think just dropping off your child at an unknown, uninvestigated child care facility is crazy (I'm not suggesting the OP wouldn't do any research, but I don't know).
Jim H · · Pasadena, CA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 930
FrankPS wrote:I'd be leery about leaving my child at a stranger's day care. I'd be reluctant to leave my dogs with a kennel I didn't have really good references for. I guess different people have different levels of comfort and risk tolerance.
Frank: You sound like a jerk who lacks empathy for parents and has no understanding of the challenges of traveling and climbing with children. But hey, maybe your dogs are nicer than you are.

To the OP, sorry that Frank's trolling you.
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Jim H wrote: Frank: You sound like a jerk who lacks empathy for parents and has no understanding of the challenges of traveling and climbing with children. But hey, maybe your dogs are nicer than you are.
I'm a jerk because I'm protective? Thanks for the name-calling. Classy.
SinRopa · · parts unknown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 15
FrankPS wrote: ...does that mean you shouldn't do your due diligence on a child care provider? (that's a rhetorical question) I still think just dropping off your child at an unknown, uninvestigated child care facility is crazy (I'm not suggesting the OP wouldn't do any research, but I don't know).
Isn't doing due diligence/research exactly what the OP is doing by asking Vegas locals for daycare recommendations?
Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 20
FrankPS wrote: Yeah, but what about abuse at a kennel? :).
Since you asked, here's a snippet from the humane society:

Surveys suggest that those who intentionally abuse animals are predominantly male and under 30, while those involved in animal hoarding are more likely to be female and over 60 (Lockwood, 2008).

....so dont leave your dog with young men or old ladies!
Paul Hutton · · Dirtbaggin' western US · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 601
FrankPS wrote: I'm a jerk because I'm protective? Thanks for the name-calling. Classy.
This ain't your thread man. No need for an "I'm just sayin".
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Paul Hutton wrote: This ain't your thread man. No need for an "I'm just sayin".
Sorry, once it's posted on the Internet, anyone can comment. It "ain't" your thread, either. :)
SinRopa · · parts unknown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 15

OP - I called a buddy in Vegas who recommended this place: kinderlandcafe.com/

Rob Gordon · · Hollywood, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 80

Those stats are not very helpful in this scenario. What would be much more applicable would be the number of reported cases of abuse in day cares per number of children enrolled in daycares. Then one could probably safely double that number due to child abuse being very under-reported since children are less likely to report.

Maggie Michalowski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks to all who offered actual suggestions! :) Still hoping to find a place that someone has had personal experience with.
And special thanks to JimH for your sensibility.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply