Mountain Project Logo

Brain Scan of Alex Honnold

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

I bet a doctor would probably diagnose him with a mental problem, but than probably everyone alive today has some kinda mental problem most are just not to visible to others or we hide them well.

Think if there was a kid who grabbed hold of hot things even though he knew they were hot and just didn't care when it burned him. Kinda the same thing alex does except he hasn't fallen yet so no harm!

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
Ted Pinson wrote: Based on...
Based on that 'control' of a neural circuit doesn't shut it off, it just modulates reactions.
So be it genetic or environmental (AKA: Damage), I agree that it is not just 'learned.'

ViperScale wrote: Like I said look into his eyes during that video and that is being completely freaked out.
Anything you saw at that density and frame rate without freeze-frame is likely post-cognitive. So does he think 'could have died' and make a face, sure. Is that fear in a normal sense? Panic? Well, it depends on who defines the word. In the context of this issue, no, it isn't.
Do you even know the halmarks of a fear microexpression?
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
Ted Pinson wrote:"Genetics has a clearer role in the personality traits that have helped motivate Honnold’s ropeless climbing. Sensation seeking is thought to be partly heritable, and can be passed down from parents to their children. The trait is associated with lower anxiety and a blunted response to potentially dangerous situations. One result can be a tendency to underestimate risks, which a recent study linked to an imbalance caused by low amygdala reactivity and less effective inhibition of sensation seeking by the prefrontal cortex." =born with it, then he cultivated his natural ability.
Greg, I thought about doing a 5 minute Google search to pull from the mountains of
research supporting the claim that Genetics plays a strong role in things like this, but then I realized that I had already done this on the last page, as has anyone else who actually has any training or background in Evolutionary Biology.

If you are making claims that run counter to the overwhelming majority of informed opinion, the burden of proof lies with you.
Walter Galli · · Las vegas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 2,247

Self control can put up with very high stress if is well managed, and Alex can certainly manage it...

Tony B wrote: Based on that 'control' of a neural circuit doesn't shut it off, it just modulates reactions. So be it genetic or environmental (AKA: Damage), I agree that it is not just 'learned.' Anything you saw at that density and frame rate without freeze-frame is likely post-cognitive. So does he think 'could have died' and make a face, sure. Is that fear in a normal sense? Panic? Well, it depends on who defines the word. In the context of this issue, no, it isn't. Do you even know the halmarks of a fear microexpression?
1) eyebrows raised and tense together - Check
2) raised upper eyelids - check
3) lips tensed - hard to tell from picture but would guess yes
4) body shakes - check
ViperScale wrote: 1) eyebrows raised and tense together - Check 2) raised upper eyelids - check 3) lips tensed - hard to tell from picture but would guess yes 4) body shakes - check
First off, how can you objectively say 'body shakes' when you know his foot and thus weight shifted? That's a ridiculous statement to make and looses you any credibility.
And regardless, that's not a micro-expression.
As for micro-expressions, I find it interesting that you caught all that in the first 1/10th of one second when his foot slipped, because in the footage I saw, he was not even looking at the camera during that time. I'd be really hard pressed to determine the difference between surprise and fear at that angle. It's not High speed video either... so I'm not sure you even get the initial split second opportunity. But I suppose wilder claims have been made.
Now, as Honnold describes slips in general seems to fit under 'surprise' to me. As he put it: "Oh gosh, I didn't plan for that." And in terms of that particular foot slip, he said it was no big deal and he didn't even need that foot.
So this seems to be a silly stance for you to take.
Walter Galli · · Las vegas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 2,247
ViperScale wrote: 1) eyebrows raised and tense together - Check 2) raised upper eyelids - check 3) lips tensed - hard to tell from picture but would guess yes 4) body shakes - check
Well if you are a climber, you should know the sensation of a foot sleep? Think about it...

Body shake is where I mainly call fear vs surprise from. Even if it is half a sec of it, which makes sense if you think about something unexpected happening while 1000ft+ off the ground.

The shaking if you slow the film down frame by frame happens like 1 frame after he regains control from the slip.

Fear is something we all will get as a natural reaction by our body (surprise really is a controlled form of fear to be honest), so if you want to say o he was surprised at 1000ft by a slip of the foot go for it but it really is just controlled fear.

ViperScale wrote:Body shake is where I mainly call fear vs surprise from. Even if it is half a sec of it, which makes sense if you think about something unexpected happening while 1000ft+ off the ground. The shaking if you slow the film down frame by frame happens like 1 frame after he regains control from the slip. Fear is something we all will get as a natural reaction by our body (surprise really is a controlled form of fear to be honest), so if you want to say o he was surprised at 1000ft by a slip of the foot go for it but it really is just controlled fear.
There are several really ironic things suggested here:
1) So you saw "shake" in the 1 frame after he regained control?
(Seriously, shake in one frame? And when did YOU say he regained control? What are reflexes?)
2) Surprise is fear? No, surprise is not fear. Period. One can follow the other, but they are not the same. You are out of your area of knowledge here and you are also incorrect.
3) "Fear is something we all will get as a natural reaction by our body" That't begging the question. We have objective measurements that show that Alex is NOT getting certain 'natural reactions' and that's the heart of the question. To suggest that you can prove that nobody is different by simply stating we are all the same... that's deeply flawed logic in the face of available data.
4) "but it really is just controlled fear." No. And control occurs after a stimulous, it does not prevent a precognitive reaction. Oh, and "I am bewildered that you would make that argument" = controlled fear? No - that's surprise. Alex said he was not reliant on that foot hold and that he was not afraid. I'll take his word over yours in this case.

Even a brief time and minimal effort with google might be of some great help to you here. Or not. I guess you can continue to ignore whatever facts you want to ignore.

Granted, the argument over someone else's subjective feelings isn't a matter of fact, but there is one side supported by data, and then there is your opinion, which is supported by nothing more than your opinion and stuff you make up out of the blue which is easily refuted.
TSluiter · · Holland, VT · Joined May 2013 · Points: 314

^ This is the internet folks.

Here, in the wild plains of Mountain Project, we see a rabid Tony Bee, buzzing and waiting for an opponent. When this creature sees an opportunity for discussion or semantic disagreement, he stings quickly and repeatedly. Discussion is commonplace among these lands, disagreement is oft encountered. The mundane can quickly turn into 19 pages of nuance and misunderstandings.

However, unlike many other creatures of the Mountain Project world, this busy Bee enjoys the degradation of his opponent. He likes to call his prey names, tell them terrible things like: "You are out of your area of knowledge here and you are also incorrect"! Wild!!

The species are generally rare but their effect is felt deeply by the citizens of the Mountain Project information wastelands.

His final blow, often a rebuke, stuns his opponent into an entropic silence. "Even a brief time and minimal effort with google might be of some great help to you here. Or not. "

God help us all.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

After reading that long article I have come to the conclusion that he is a one of a kind...or a witch. I haven't made up my mind on that yet.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Brain Scan of Alex Honnold"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started