Ice climbing after ACL reconstruction?

Original Post
Ibra Cetindemir · Aug 13, 2016 · Williston, North Dakota · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0
I got my left knee's Acl reconstructed (patellar graft) and meniscus removed yesterday. I am planning on making a trip to Ouray next January, I will be following my therapist and doctors instructions but I would like to hear from people that have gone through the same procedure.

How long did it took you to be able to climb ice and do general mountaineering again?

Also, I got the meniscus on my right knee repaired 6 months ago and physically it feels at 100% already, so hoping the recovery timeline is somewhat similar.

Cheers

RangerJ · Aug 13, 2016 · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0
There have been many threads about ACLs in the past.

Recovery varies. I had several complications and it took almost 2 years to return to normal climbing. Most people could be close to that in about a year, though you can start climbing before that.

Recovery will be very different than a meniscal repair.

Dave Rone · Aug 13, 2016 · Eau Claire, Wis · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 2,881
Had ACL recon done many years ago in July. By mid-August I was rock climbing without too much difficulty. I started ice climbing by November and while the actual climbing wasn't a problem, approaches and particularly descents were more of a challenge. Slipping on snow, ice, or rock could lead to re-injury, so be careful!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply