Cool lacing trick for people with small heels

Original Post
Ted Pinson · Aug 8, 2016 · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 40
Hey everyone! So, I've been getting into running as part of my training for longer days/big approaches/multipitch, and I recently stopped into a running store to get a pair of shoes. The salesman showed me a really cool lacing trick that runners do to prevent heel slippage. It looks like this:

He shows the technique after explaining what the back eyelit was for. Basically, for the last eyelit, you push the lace through backwards, creating a loop on each side, then pass the tail of the lace through each opposite loop. This allows you to "ratchet" the heels down before tying normally and does a marvelous job sucking in that extra ankle/heel volume for those of us with dainty heels (I'm looking at you, Seth!). I tried it with my TC Pros and it worked well (I often get a little bit of extra space in the high-top area that bugs me), so it's worth a shot if you're torn between crammed toes with a good heel or comfortable toes with a baggy heel.

Long Ranger · Aug 10, 2016 · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 5
Please be careful when doing this with your running/hiking shoes. If the shoe is too tight on the top of your foot, you'll risk injuring your foot.

If this is happening with your climbing shoes, I would almost suggest finding better fitting climbing shoes - not necessarily sizing down and cramming your feet into an uncomfortable pair. That's what I did 20 years ago, but newer designed shoes are different now.

Klimbien · Aug 10, 2016 · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 130
Can skip past the first 60 seconds of the video and miss nothing except bad commentary and the orator repeating himself over and over.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply