Help me redesign MP!

Original Post
swong17 Wong · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 5

Help!

I've been using MP on and off for a couple of years. To pay the rent, though, I'm a researcher and designer. While MP has been a phenomenal resource for me, like many of you (I'm sure) I've run into user experience hiccups here and there and thought of how I might make it better. Now that I've healed from past injuries and am getting back into it again, I've started to revisit some of these ideas and, as a personal project, I want to take a stab at redesigning parts of the site.

I've put together a brief survey--it should take no more than 10 minutes of your time--to learn more about how users use the site, how they would like to see it improved, and who they are. Unlike in my day job, I have nothing to incentivize you with except my thanks and gratitude for helping me out. Every response will go a long way in helping inform my strategy and design.

You can take the survey here: surveygizmo.com/s3/2944259/...

If you don't want to take the survey, but do feel like leaving some feedback about features you'd like to see, how you would improve the site, etc., please feel free to reply here! I will take all of it into consideration. Technical issues, like passwords, routes getting logged incorrectly, etc., are out of my reach...that's for the backend folks.

Please note, I am not affiliated with MP, but any research and/or mockups/prototypes will be made available to them if they want it.

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 549

Joined three weeks ago.
One post, this one.

Tell you what, get Nick to vouch for you and I'll take your survey.

Hey Mark,

Since I know they are actually redesigning MP on their own as well and didn't want to get in the way of anything they might be doing, I checked to make sure it would be OK w/Nick to post in the forum for feedback and let him know that anything I do, they could use if they wanted. His response is below.

Like I said, I'm not affiliated with MP, just a person with some extra time whose work has all been proprietary and is trying to create materials for a public portfolio. If you don't want to take the survey, no problem, but if you have time and do, I would really appreciate it!

Took out his email, but here's his response

PS. Also meant to mention that re: recent join and only one post is a result of me being shy. Despite that, MP has been a great resource for me to find routes, check out new routes, and read the forums for tips.

Never made an account until recently because I, personally, did not use a lot of the features that required an account--mostly climbed already well-documented climbs with good notes, beta, etc., didn't climb outside consistently enough to feel like the tick list was worth it for me, and browsed the forums a lot, but never felt like I had reason/expertise enough to post. Recently moved to Colorado, though, and really hoping to start getting outdoors more, so I finally decided that I should make an account and getting more involved. That's all.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

For me, the biggest issue is that the Android app often goes back to the start when the user locks the phone's screen instead of keeping the same place after you've selected an area or route. This was supposedly fixed earlier this summer, but after updating the app it still happens just as often.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply