Mountain Project Logo

Camping in the adirondacks with cell service

Original Post
Sean Sullivan · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 105

Hey all,

My wife is preggers and she wants to be able to call me during the night should the need arise. I usually camp at Chapel pond but I don't think there is service there.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to camp and get service? I'd prefer free, but would be willing to pay. I'd like to climb in the chapel pond area and/or pook-o-moonshine.

Thanks.

Sean (tommy)

ClimbLikeAGirl · · Keene Valley · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 15

The only place I can think of that'd be semi-legal is to sleep in your car at the Poke-O lot. Another not-really-legal option is in between the Cascade Lakes. They just installed a signal booster from Lake Placid so you now get 4G and a bunch of bars at the park (speaking from Verizon service, not sure about other carriers). If you don't have an in-car camping set up, you'd be asking for trouble to set a tent in either of these locations but depending on our leave of stealth, might be able to get away with it--really it all depends on your willingness to potentially get a ticket from a ranger. If you don't want to be hassled, you might want to see about springing for a night at the KV Hostel or something.

John Pikus · · Central Utah · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 85

Along the same lines as the above post, I've never been bothered sleeping in my car at the high peaks welcome center rest area on the north way. I get fine service there (Verizon). Not the most pleasant place but fairly well-located.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Sharp Bridge campground? It's two minutes to Deadwater and maybe ten to CP.

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847

Verizon is sporadic at best. All the other carriers are non existent.

Poke-O you can get ATT and T-mobile

Rob D · · Queens, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 30
Bill Kirby wrote:Sharp Bridge campground? It's two minutes to Deadwater and maybe ten to CP.
stayed there for the july 4th week and we BARELY had any service for three nights (couldn't send or receive texts, calls dropped) but then randomly had service for two more days. Had verizon and ATT and verizon worked while AT&T did not.

Thanks all. Sharp said they get Verizon. I'll give that a shot.

ClimbLikeAGirl · · Keene Valley · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 15

If Sharp Bridge is a bust, the Keene Valley Hostel does a camp site for $15 which I believe includes use of the kitchen and bathrooms. Definitely will get good Verizon service there!

Good to know. Thanks.

Hey all,

Just got back. Verizon worked well at the campground.

Generalpoopface · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 40

We have Verizon and have camped at the Wilmington Notch campground. It's a bit of a drive to Chapel pond from there (like 20min or so) but we had cell service.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Camping in the adirondacks with cell service"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started