Mountain Project Logo

Devil's Tower Camping

Original Post
Bob Johnson · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 192

I'm planning on heading to the tower on Friday 7/15 and will be camping 7/15 and 7/16. Do you recommend the free (donation-based) camping at Devil's Tower Lodge? Or does that fill up and is it better to make a reservation at KOA, for example?

Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1,041

Highly recommend the Devils Tower Lodge. Can't say how crowded it will be because I was there in May but will be heading back next week.

Taylor Krosbakken · · Duluth, MN · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 1,086

Frank's (Devils Tower lodge) doesnt fill up for camping. there isnt a set number of spots. There is also a campground inside the park. I would always avoid KOA's. Franks is a good place but no campfires.

Wally · · Denver · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 0

Hey Bob - advantages and disadvantages for all options.

Frank's place is supporting a great climber, guy, and steward to the park. His grounds are a bit slopey - may be tough to find a nice flat spot for pitching your tent. If you are a big partier, Frank might not be too keen on that.

The park service campground inside the Tower is nice. Not too expensive. Big trees. Bathrooms. May be filled up on the weekend.

The KOA never sells out. They have open field camping. Not necessary to reserve a spot. They are the most expensive option. Showers available if that is important to you.

Devils Tower is awesome. Wally

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Devil's Tower Camping"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started