Mountain Project Logo

Climbing in Colorado

Original Post
MartaL · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Hi,

We're planning a sport climbing road trip and would like to ask you for advice. We arrive to Denver on Monday and have 4 weeks to enjoy climbing in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and Montana. I was thinking of climbing in Rifle, Maple and Ten Sleep. Do you think it is a good idea? Do you have any other suggestions? We climb 10s and 11s.

Regards,
Marta

Daniel H. Bryant · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 275

I just got back from climbing in Utah (Wasatch and Moab), and my only suggestion is to chase the shade (hit west faces in the morning, east in the afternoon).
Keep an eye on the current Colorado wildfires, perhaps bounce around them.
Have a good trip!

dano72 · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 5

Start at Ten Sleep.

Skip Rifle (not a lot of good 10s and 11s there).

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 150

LUMPY RIDGE!

Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 585
Russ Keane wrote:LUMPY RIDGE!
Lumpy isn't exactly known as a sport climbing mecca.
Andrew Gram · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 3,580

The Uintas in Utah are very pleasant this time of year.

B-Mkll Mackall · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 1,641

Ten Sleep is where it's at for 10-11. You could spend 4 weeks there and in nearby Spearfish Canyon easily (free camping too!). As is Wild Iris and Sinks Canyon near Lander (about 2-3 hours from Ten Sleep). If you're sport climbing only, you could honestly skip Colorado entirely and just head up to WY. Shelf Road down near Canon City is kind of hot but still good. Skip Rifle. Rifle will be cool but is greasy, hard, and overrated (IMHO, others may differ). As a 10-11 climber you'll get bored real quick.

Some good multipitch sport up here near Bozeman in MT but Montana is pretty bunk for sport climbing overall. I'd skip it if climbing sport is your endgame, but if you end up making it here give me a ring.

Maple is neat but not super extensive at .10-.11. You could kill a few days there. Worth it if you're within a couple hours!

Matthew Windchime · · denver · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

Shelf Road (Canon City) is going to be a better option at that grade than Rifle. Clear Creek Canyon (Golden) is very close to Denver. It's basically 14 miles of mostly bolted playground. Some of the crags require a tyrolean traverse. If you are flying here from abroad, make sure you take into consideration how big this part of America really is. Colorado is almost as big as Poland, for example. It's a long drive between all those places and I-70, the corridor from Denver to Utah, can be very backed up on the weekends. Plan accordingly. Have fun!

Mike Lane · · Centennial, CO · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 905

Devils Head

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Climbing in Colorado"
in the Colorado