Mountain Project Logo

Sport Climbing near NYC 10-14 July

Original Post
MartaL · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Hi,

I am arriving to NYC tomorrow (Saturday) and would love to do some sport climbing around the city! Could you please recommend me the crags? I climb 10s and 11s. Are there any campgrounds near them? Is there anyone who would like to join me?

Marta

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

There's really no sport climbing near NYC. The closest is West Point which is probably 1.5 hours away. The climbing sucks and it smells awful from the diesel freight trains carrying rotting garbage in the hot sun. The next closest is Birdsboro at almost 3 hours away. Bring a helmet, the rock falls apart. The climbing itself is OK though.

You're better off going trad climbing at the Gunks or making the drive up to Rumney, NH if you want to actually do some sport climbing.

Jim Sweeney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 30

Marta,

Check your personal messages (email you registered on this site)

Jim

Lothian Buss · · Durango, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 15

Hi Marta,

If you decide you'd like to climb easy trad on Sunday instead, hit me up -
I'll be at the Gunks if I can find a partner.

Hi,

Are u going to the Gunks from NYC?

Regards,
Marta

AJ W. · · PA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 115

You always got the Powerlinez. You can take a train from Penn to Secaucus (10 mins) then to Suffern (30-50 mins, depending on the train). From Suffern either bike or get a partner to pick you up.

It's not destination climbing but there are around 5 decent sport routes, 10a-10d. The rest is single pitch trad and tons of bouldering. I hear the bouldering is pretty good.

I can't get to the Gunks this weekend so I'm planning on going to the Powerlinez Sunday afternoon for some solo top roping. If your Gunks plans fall through I'd be happy to meet up.

Powerlinez sounds great for Sunday. Unfortunately, I cannot got o the Gunks on Sunday because I need to change my accommodation.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

North Eastern States Partners
Post a Reply to "Sport Climbing near NYC 10-14 July"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started