Mountain Project Logo

Shelf Road Shade

Original Post
Sam Spare · · Breckenridge, CO · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

Hey, I'm headed to Shelf Road this weekend and am looking to beat the heat. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for shady crags? I appreciate any advice!

dano72 · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 5

the bank, the near end of cactus cliff, freeform wall, and mural wall all get early morning shade.

dark side,the gym, and the north end go into the shade by late morning.

the vault, contest wall, and the far side get afternoon shade.

But the heats not the biggest problem with climbing shelf in the summer; the bugs are terrible.

Arlo F Niederer · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 460

"Shade" for Shelf is called Elevenmile canyon - 15-20 cooler with many sport AND trad climbs. 15-20 degrees cooler, not many bugs, and a refreshing river to take a dip after climbing.

Since the campgrounds will be reserved, there is free distributed camping up wagon tongue road, like the area south of Sand Gulch at Shelf - but with nice shade.

Dano, thanks for the advice. I'll load up on the bug spray.

Arlo, I realize summer isn't prime time for Shelf. I'll be in the area for some rafting though and figured I might as well climb while I'm there.

Arlo F Niederer · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 460

In that case, we climbed on Far side in April and there were several brand new climbs in the 5.9-5.10 range. They were in the shade and a little cool for April, so might be nice now.

Arlo F Niederer wrote:In that case, we climbed on Far side in April and there were several brand new climbs in the 5.9-5.10 range. They were in the shade and a little cool for April, so might be nice now.
I'll check that out, thanks for the help!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Shelf Road Shade"
in the Colorado