Easy Top Ropes For A Non-Climber To Set Up Near Denver

Original Post
303scott · Jun 24, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 70
A non-climber's son (8) is excelling at climbing and dad wants to start setting up TRs outside in the Denver area. I will be instructing dad on systems etc. Any thoughts on where to go for kid-friendly TRs? Immediate thoughts are the far left side of Happy Hour, Supremacy Rock, and North Table Mountain, but would love to hear others. Routes in the 5.2-5.7 range are probably about right.
Thanks,
Scott

Nobleman · Jun 24, 2016 · Denver,CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0
Check out lookout mountain crag (accessed from lookout mountain road) located kinda above Canal Zone in CCC. Easy TR access, several nice slabs in the 5.5-5.7 range, and a couple more in the 5.8-5.10 range.

Richard Blumberg · Jun 24, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0
Grocery Store wall in Castlewood Canyon.

Tradgic Yogurt · Jun 24, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55
Is the dad is not a climber? You might want to find other climbers with kids on the Denver Social Climb page on facebook, setting up a TR might be non-trivial for him.

FrankPS · Jun 24, 2016 · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Scott, will you be with the dad when he sets up the toprope anchors? At least for his first couple of times?

Can't tell if by "instructing him," you mean in-situ at the climb or at home in a pseudo-classroom.

303scott · Jun 27, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 70
Thanks all, appreciate the suggestions. Definitely agree that climbing with other families would be a good step, and have suggested that. Regarding instruction, I teach this subject professionally (just not locally) so I am comfortable in my ability to ensure he learns what he needs to know.
Thanks again!
Scott

B. Smith · Jun 28, 2016 · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 25
My go-to spot is the furthest left side of Elephant Buttresses in Boulder Canyon. You could build the anchor from a tree with a very long static rope, but the best option is to build a trad anchor.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply