Add option to "friend" other members

Original Post
Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,390

Did some searching and didnt see this topic before. I'd propose adding the option for users to "friend" each other so youcan easily keep track of news/updates from other people..where they've climbed, tick lists etc.

Eoghan Kyne · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

I would like to have the ability to tag users that you've done a climb with. Especially if when swinging leads on a multipitch route.

Nick Wilder · · The Bubble · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 1,536

Yep, coming early next year. It's high on our list, but right after "re-write every line of code from scratch", which will be starting late this summer and taking many months.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0
Nick Wilder wrote:Yep, coming early next year. It's high on our list, but right after "re-write every line of code from scratch", which will be starting late this summer and taking many months.
why the complete overhaul may i ask? I know nothing about programming but it seems odd to write it all out again.
Nick Wilder · · The Bubble · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 1,536

Despite what the TSA and people in charge of our nuclear weapons may tell you, code has a limited lifetime. MP is running on 11 year-old code that covered a lot of new ground for Andy and I back then, and it wasn't our finest work. Of course we've updated and added a ton to it over the years, but ~80% remains original, and the rest is just hacked on top.

The two big problems:
1. We're approaching 50% of all traffic coming on phones, and the site is pretty tough to use there. iPhones didn't even exist when we built this and now there's a 30% chance you're reading this on one right now. The new site will have a responsive design.

2. There database and code have structural problems and are really no longer maintainable by anyone but me, and it's painfully difficult even when I know the code.

By the time we're done, the MP code will have lasted 12 years and handled about 900% growth - pretty damn good, but not going to last much longer!

Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,390

Fair enough, thanks for the quick response as well! I'll be awaiting all the great changes then, and again, thanks for putting in so much time on MP!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply