Devils Tower Partner Wanted July 10thish

Original Post
RichBeBe · Jun 19, 2016 · New York City, NY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0
Heading out a twomonth climbing and motorcycle trip and looking to climb a bit. But I will be solo. Plan is to hang out and do some riding in the Black Hills and look for a partner for a day or two of climbing.
But the bigger deal to me is climbing Devils Tower and I will likely hire a guide. But if anyone wants to lead an old out of shape climber up the Durance or any easy route I can return the favor at the Gunks one day, beer, dinner, or whatever.
I can follow old school trad (gunks) 7 or 8's or so, but have no crack or offwidth experience, so it may be an adventure. I will have my rack and rope, but thinking this would mostly be a following day.
Anyone interested? If not any ideas on a guide service. Their prices seem to vary a lot and I do not think I need much protection, and definitely won't need gear.

R.Walters · Jun 19, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 315
www.sylvanrocks.com

JRM89 · Jun 19, 2016 · New Haven, CT · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 315
I hope you have a great trip!

I will say that if you are going to the Black Hills, make sure you go climbing in the Needles or Cathedral Spires. That climbing is world class. I haven't been to Devil's Tower, but I know the next time I am in the area, it will be to the Black Hills again for me, instead. The climbing is limitless. :)

Also I second the Sylvan Rocks recommendation. We interacted with some of their folks and watched them with clients. They seem top notch.

Kent Richards · Jun 19, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 3
I spent a good bit of time talking to Frank Sanders and one of his guides. They were great people and seemed to know their stuff as guides.

RichBeBe · Jun 20, 2016 · New York City, NY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0
The thing about Devils Tower is in 1989 I was there as a tourist and I saw this "super human freaks" climbing it and it seemed so out of reach. So now that I climb, it is a goal to climb it. But yes I hear great things about the Black Hills and will spend some time there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply