Mountain Project Logo

Tomahawks: Will a left or right do in place of a regular/straight one?

Original Post
B.S. Luther · · Yorba Linda, CA · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 65

I'm looking to pick up some tomahawks and wondering if it makes sense to just get 1 left and 1 right of each size as a basic set. My thinking was that you could use the left or right in a straight in splitter just as well as the straight/normal piece, maybe even better since you have some camming. I could see one limitation being if your on a long corner pitch, maybe you could make a straight fit, where as with a left and right on hand, one would fit great and one just plain wouldn't fit.

If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. Primary use is for Yosemite walls, like the Muir or Mescalito, especially for clean hand placement.

Thanks,
Brian

John McNamee · · Littleton, CO · Joined Jul 2002 · Points: 1,690

I would just buy different sizes of straight ones. The bent ones are pretty specialized.

10-4 thanks John

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350

In a straight in vertical placement the red and blue tomahawks work fine. Just don't place a blue into a red placement or red into a blue. They'll pop in marginal placements. Tomahawks are great if you have a couple but in reality the weight difference between a Tamahaek and a pecker is significant when you start doing routes that require 8+ of each size. (I carry the smallest tomahawks and the larger sizes in peckers,)

Don't forget to sling your peckers from the top hole with some pcord to rack them and replace all your peckers clip words with higher strength wire - you'll need a swaging kit to do this, expensive unles you know someone who already has one)

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 415

What Kevin said.

Awesome thanks Kevin. Maybe I'll start with tomahawks in #1 and #2 and peckers in #3? Looking to get 2 each size for now as many routes call for that. I do have a friend with a swage kit, do you replace right off the bat just to have a burlier cord?

Much appreciated,
Brian

MacksWhineturd · · Squaw · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

I think most people just replace the smaller BD peckers cables cause they are "to thin to fall on". If the peckers placed well it will hold a fall so might as well put a big enough cable on there.

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 415

The Tomahawks are beautiful, but aside from the #1, they are far too heavy. If you are carrying one or two, sure, go for it, but of your route needs 25 #2 and 25 #3 (Tempest rack) you'll understand what the old Roper guide used to call "the usual shoulder bruising load".

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Tomahawks: Will a left or right do in place of…"
in the Big Wall and Aid Climbing