Mountain Project Logo

Dodge Pro Master or Ford Transit

Original Post
Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Considering both as a weekend warrior camping conversion.

Any personal experiences? I have done plenty of internet research. Reviews weigh heavy for the transit.

And I can't afford a Sprinter so feel free to not suggest that.

Thanks

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

Do a search here for "promaster"

There are only a handful of MP users who have experience with either van and they've already written all their feedback in prior threads.

You'd be better off posting this on a proper Vandwelling or RV/Overland forum.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Dan Cooksey wrote:Reviews weigh heavy for the transit.
For drag racing or camp conversion? I've not seen a converted transit, but have seen plenty of promasters. Hell, I just bought one myself. But I don't really have anything to add yet that isn't available on the internet. Yes, I've heard the promaster does do pretty well in snow, but that video is kind of worthless: I'd rather drive a car than an empty van.
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

I drive a variety of vehicles for work, hauling cargo. The latest ride is a small Transit van, the rig it replaced was a Ford ranger with canopy and slide out bed. Also drive several full size run of the mill cargo vans, now and then.

I have to say, the transit works fine for what we do, but might be kinda cramped for camping, unless longer ones have more height. At 4' 11", I can actually walk around in the full sized vans pretty easily, just slightly hunkered, but have to squash to do so in the transit. I can sit down on something and have clearance, but I think a full sized person would be duck walking and have to pay attention standing up, or get beaned a lot.

The real minus for me, is the Taurus style sloped windshield. Even with a white van, it is getting hot really fast, you are sitting in the sun, and the AC is not doing great, even with just 80 degree days.

The transit also is much closer to the ground than even the Ranger, with the nose just clearing an average curb, so that could be a factor if you have dirt roads or slap dash snow plowing. Definitely find a stripped out one to climb around in, and get a feel for the space. Like climbing shoes, a too tight fit won't go the distance!

caribouman1052 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 5

Personal experience working with the Ford Transit, not the Transit Connect. 21mpg and well loaded with tools. Actually was able to accelerate, and held it's own in a side wind. I have compared the Mercedes/ Dodge, and the Ford and personally preferred the Ford (It's a few inches wider). A plumber I worked along with had the Dodge, but showed me the engine (it's a Mercedes). The Ford handles like a slot car on steroids... I can't speak to the ground clearance. Mine was the long wheelbase, short overhang (easy to park), middling height. Before I installed the false floor, I could stand up straight in the thing (I'm just a hair under 6'2"). Hands down, the best work vehicle I've ever had.

check out Carpentry.com for directions on how to do a build out. Pay attention to the details, the Europeans & Brits have been driving these for years and they have really worked out the bugs. There are a lot of good articles on the Net on how to do a build out. PM if you want my take on it.

Matt King · · Durango, CO · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 327

Don't waste your money. Go Mercedes Sprinter! They are just that much better! Don't let anyone try to reason to reason otherwise. They are full of shit! Ive done my research and talked to many who have owned both. Just ordered my 2016 MB 4x4 Sprinter Van and can't wait to convert it out!

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Ah! Sorry! I'm in a Transit Connect. Replacing a big van is in the budget, though, so that's good to hear the full size will fit our big guys!

In fairness, the Connect, although not a slot car on steroids, is a considerably better drive than the Ranger or the cargo vans. Haven't had it in the snow yet, but it will have a lot of weight in it, so I expect it to do fine.

To me, just camping out of the thing is a huge difference than if you want to live in it for weeks, months or years. Purchase price, gas mileage, parts, maintenance costs and driving it all the time when you aren't camping, would make or break the deal for me, especially if it's my only ride. Just my 2¢ as a poor person.

RichBeBe · · New York City, NY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1

I race motorcycles as well as climb, and I as well as almost all my friends have vans here is my two cents:
Dodge ProMaster:
Pros:
Cheapest of the new Euro-style vans
Square sides and wider, so easier to build out and feels larger inside
Great in bad weather
Low interior floor height and step-in
Cons:
Really low full-width rear axle
Possible long-term reliability issues (Dodge trucks seem to have the most issues over a life and Fiat is not known for long-lasting quality)
Funky semi-auto transmission in the diesel

Ford Transit:
Pros:
Ford van reliability (second to none)
Smooth ride and comfortable even when unloaded
So many length, height, engine configurations

Cons:
All new design so unproven (but it a a Ford)

Sprinter:
Pros
Been around for ever and the bugs worked out
Smooth driving
Great gas mileage

Cons:
Higher initial costs
Mush higher repair and maintenance costs
rust
rust
rust

If I was buying new I would buy a Ford, if I was paying used I would buy a Sprinter, though not a white, as the other colors rust less, because they paint them differently. The Dodge would be my last choice unless, I was on a budget and found an incredible deal.
My two cents, and it you are not happy can I have the change?

StonEmber · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 35

You CAN afford a sprinter!! Open your eyes and see the light!!!

Or just check out craigslist.

Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115

The real takeaway from this thread is that Old Lady H is only 1 inch away from being considered a dwarf by the Little People of America (LPA). 4'10" is the cutoff.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

How bout a Chevy Express?

Jeremy K · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

You should really drive all 3 and talk to your upfitter, if using one. If you truly can't afford the difference b/w promaster and sprinter (which is much less than what people at the crags seem to think) then you probably shouldn't buy a new van either way. Check them all out and decide. Pros/cons either way. And beware, lots of bad info on the internet (including some in this thread...).

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle and Eastrevy · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 311

I am in the same boat and still can't figure out the best replacement for my 97 Eurovan camper. I was definitely leaning towards Promaster because of the front wheel drive until I read a horror story of someone that bought a Promaster lemon and then this: caranddriver.com/comparison…

I wish climbing gear reviews could occasionally be this brutally honest.

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

I've been happy with my 2014 Promaster (low roof, 136" WB) so far for the last 2+ years with intermittent stints of 6-8 weeks living/working in/from it on dirt roads in UT and WY. At the time I was looking the 4WD Sprinters just came out and there was a wait list plus no room to negotiate. The extra $20K wasn't worth it. The FWD was a major factor in my decision. Climbingcoastie had engine problems with his. The only issue I've had is that the spare tire lowering mechanism never worked. I'm also short enough to sleep parallel to the axles.

Regarding rear axle clearance, the Promaster is 0.2" less than the Transit (and the same as my Honda Element). You can get at least another inch+ with more off-roady tires, but you'll need to either modify the exhaust heat shield or carry your spare tire somewhere other than underneath. I finally got the hitch mount dialed for my dirt bike and it does well with trailers.

Buildout pics here. Feel free to PM if you have more questions.

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Doug Hutchinson wrote:and then this: caranddriver.com/comparison…
A few things about this:
1) if you are considering a diesel, the sprinter is more advanced & probably only $5-6K more than a promaster. And yes, the diesel promaster's tranny is problematic, but the gas powertrain is pretty much from the chrysler minivan (w/ lowered gear) that has been on the domestic market forever.

2) noise/ride: it's pretty maddening to compare a shorter (118" vs 144") wheelbase, bare metal van to ones w/ panels. I've test driven 2 different promasters & just having a factory rubber floor substantially quiets the van down. And from what I've heard, the ride (once converted & has some weight) improves dramatically.

3) size: comparing the 136" promaster to the 144" sprinter, the promaster drives like a smaller vehicle (shorter & lower cog) with similar internal space, and I considers that a big plus. If you mount the bed above the horizontal support, you can get up to 76" across, which may simplify the conversion.The equivalent wheelbase transit is smaller.

4) the sprinter has more clearance. but have you looked at the bottom of the transit? With the smaller tires & the inboard shock mounts, it sure looks worse than the promaster. And we are talking about possibly hitting the diff housing/shock mounts vs a solid square beam.

5) C&D (and all other regular car mags) doesn't seem to recognize they are evaluating cargo vans, not sports cars. Utility trumps over a lot of cons they consider important.

Thanks for all the replies!

Im not paying 20k for a Sprinter with 200k miles. I am sure they are great.

Im leaning pro master high roof. I drove one yesterday and it handled like a dream for a big van. I like the boxy interior for building options as well. The rear wheel drive on the transit is the deal breaker for me I think.

Anyway Ill let you know what I decide.

fossana wrote:I've been happy with my 2014 Promaster (low roof, 136" WB) so far for the last 2+ years with intermittent stints of 6-8 weeks living/working in/from it on dirt roads in UT and WY. At the time I was looking the 4WD Sprinters just came out and there was a wait list plus no room to negotiate. The extra $20K wasn't worth it. The FWD was a major factor in my decision. Climbingcoastie had engine problems with his. The only issue I've had is that the spare tire lowering mechanism never worked. I'm also short enough to sleep parallel to the axles. Regarding rear axle clearance, the Promaster is 0.2" less than the Transit (and the same as my Honda Element). You can get at least another inch+ with more off-roady tires, but you'll need to either modify the exhaust heat shield or carry your spare tire somewhere other than underneath. I finally got the hitch mount dialed for my dirt bike and it does well with trailers. Buildout pics here. Feel free to PM if you have more questions.
Very cool!
reboot wrote:2) noise/ride: it's pretty maddening to compare a short wheelbase, completely empty van to ones w/ panels. I've test driven 2 different promasters & just having a factory rubber floor substantially quiets the van down. And from what I've heard, the ride (once converted & has some weight) improves dramatically. Regardless, comparing the 135" promaster to the 144" sprinter, the promaster drives like a smaller vehicle (shorter & lower cog), and I considers that a big plus.
Totally agree, do not judge noise/ride based on an empty/stock van. Insulation/panels and weight make a huge difference.
Dan Cooksey wrote:Im not paying 20k for a Sprinter with 200k miles.
The used market for them is kind of nuts, especially given how sensitive they are to correct maintenance. Are you going used for the PM/transit?
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I saw this article yesterday and found it pretty enlightening. If you don't want to read it, the Ford Transit Van is hands down the preferred vehicle.

msn.com/en-us/autos/autofea…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Dodge Pro Master or Ford Transit "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started