Mountain Project Logo

Looking for NC based partner for rock and ice

Original Post
Austin Ibele · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

I'm moving to Charlotte next month from Oregon and am looking for partners interested in rock and ice climbing. Mountaineering has my heart, but since I no longer have access to glaciated volcanoes, I'm looking to build rock and ice skills.

Experience/skill:
5.9 gym climber
some outdoor sport climbing
Multipitch *Volcanic* alpine routes up to 5.1ish
Lots of steep snow and mixed scrambling

Gear:
Most of a cam set
Half of a nut set
40m dynamic rope
Los of biners
2 ice tools/axe/crampons
2 pickets
7 screws

Note: I'm pretty new to pro placement (wasn't that important on my alpine routes) and don't have any WI experience, although I have played around climbing crevasses. It would be good to find people with more trad and ice experience.

Want I really want to climb: Multipitch alpine routes to summits of 6ers, trad routes, ice (if we get any), and possibly a trip to the NE for some winter mountaineering (mt Washington)

Feel free to add me on Facebook

Also, 22 years old.

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Is this a gag? Did you really say alpine routes up to 5.1 ? That's essentially hiking. I'm pretty sure that you would be fine on 5.2 or 5.3 also. I see that you mention a trip to the northeast for ice climbing. That makes sense. But moving to Charlotte is not going to help your ice climbing whatsoever.

Austin Ibele · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Essentially hiking? I take it you've climbed every volcano in Oregon then, right? Man, I wonder why people die on these "hiking routes". There isn't much quality rock here. I mean, they're volcanos. I encourage you to climb 5.1 with a pack while your hand holds break out.. Oh yea, and forget about that pro catching your fall, because the rock won't really hold it. 5.1 (maybe 5.2) is really all that's available in the Oregon alpine. Can I climb more difficult? Of course. Have I? Yes. Would I want to climb much more difficult on choss? Hell no.

I won't take anything personally. Im not moving to Charlotte for ice climbing -- I'm moving for professional reasons. Waterfall ice forms more often in the NC mountains than it does in Oregon, so I'd like to get out climbing a few times this year.

In summary: The PNW (minus the N cascades) is a volcanic wonderland. Volcanos aren't composed of granite. I'm a mountaineer, I cross glaciers, and climb steep snow and the occasional alpine ice for 12+ hour days. I however, would love to explore the rock that NC has to offer and it's occasional ice. I come from a different world of climbing.

Thank you for allowing me to expand on my climbing experience and what interests me.

Mike F · · Arden, NC · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 56

Check out the l wishbone on celo knob and the other peaks in the blacks

mountainproject.com/v/black…

There's quite a bit of ice in western NC especially in good years. Have fun! I'd join you but am out west now.

Cheers
Mike

Joe Campbell · · Cookeville, TN · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 20

Lots of good rock in NC. Be sure to check out the Gorge!

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Definitely a dick post on my part..... I should have held off. Sorry about that man, glad to see you not take it personally. I can imagine how awesome those volcanic climbs are. I love Oregon, and I actually love 3rd, 4th, 5th class scrambling. In no way do I want to disparage your background or goals. It's just that I had never seen anyone actually reference 5.1 before. It's kinda funny. Here I go again.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Looking for NC based partner for rock and ice"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started