Mountain Project Logo

Any Neil Gaiman "Sandman" fans out there

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290

Nothing at all to do with climbing, but I know we also have some really bright, very creative types on here.

I will be creating an original character based on Sandman, and if anyone out there is interested, I would enjoy bouncing ideas and photos off of you as I start building my costume. This is for a local Comic Con, just one day, but my chance to run wild in a creative sense. Post here if interested, have questions, or whatever.

Best, Helen

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,075

I always liked Sandman's sister more, but I would love to see your costume. I am a long time comic and convention fan and have tried my hand at cosplay in my younger days.

Alicia Sokolowski wrote:I always liked Sandman's sister more, but I would love to see your costume. I am a long time comic and convention fan and have tried my hand at cosplay in my younger days.
Me too! She's certainly how I would like Death to be.

So, being short, old and female, the character I came up with is an older, indeterminate age. A female elder, for the other characters. She is "Daydream", a transition between wake and sleep, fantasy and reality, mundane and sublime. Gives me a huge amount to play with!

I'll be pulling lots of graphic references from Dream, so folks should get that reference, and I will also have the costume convey the twist. Her name will be on there, and a slogan, "for if our dreams do not follow us into the day, why wake up at all", something like that. Fun to do, good fit physically, and fits great for beibg at the library.

The event is the end of August (Boise Public Library Comic Con, a family friendly event for all ages), so I have lots of time, but I want to get my climbing in too!

And yes, Old lady H works at the library. And has too many cats. And gardens.

So, they'll be spread out, but I'll get some photos on now and then. Feedback welcome from my far flung friends! Best, Helen :-)
MaraC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 10

Not going to lie; kinda sad your name is Helen, so your username is probably not a reference to mad Hettie. :(

MaraC wrote:Not going to lie; kinda sad your name is Helen, so your username is probably not a reference to mad Hettie. :(
Sadder when the troll patrol used Hellenor. And, mad Hettie means nothing to me anyway. You're allowed/expected to be oblivious to a lot when you are old! :-D

Edit: Ahhh, cool! I liked her! Had to Google to remember. I've read and enjoyed the Sandman series, but I'm not a graphic novel fan generally, so don't have a bunch of details squirreled away.
Magpie79 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0
Old lady H wrote: Sadder when the troll patrol used Hellenor.
Hi Helen, from what I have seen on MP, Hellenor is a composite of Hell + Eleanor (Elena). It is unfortunate that it is so close to your name. I have enjoyed your thoughtful and respectful posts. I don't think "Hellenor" was directed toward you.

Happy climbing!
Magpie79 wrote: Hi Helen, from what I have seen on MP, Hellenor is a composite of Hell + Eleanor (Elena). It is unfortunate that it is so close to your name. I have enjoyed your thoughtful and respectful posts. I don't think "Hellenor" was directed toward you. Happy climbing!
I don't think it was directed at me either, but still ended up being snottier than they intended. And I have gotten the Elena tag a few times, silly twits. All it takes is being new and/or opinionated for that to happen. Love ya guys anyway, go figure!

Thanks for the kind words!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply