Alpine Climbs with a Mountain Bike approach?

Original Post
jkd159 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 20

Road tripping this summer with mountain bikes in addition to climbing gear. Wondering if folks have suggestions for climbs which meet the following criteria:

1) Classic alpine climbing. Up to 5.10 in difficulty. But 5.2 is fine if the position is stunning.
2) CO, WY, UT, ID, OR, WA, or BC. Climbable June-August.
3) A good portion of the approach is on trails suitable (and legal) for mountain bikes.

Thanks!

Long Ranger · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 75

The climbing is easy, but the views are stunning:

Ride up Lake Como Road in the Blanca Group in the Sangres of CO, and solo the Little Bear - Blanca traverse, tag Ellingwood Pt. as well.

You will want a very early start, camping at the top of the road would be ideal.

Lake Como

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/little-bear-blanca-traverse/105760884

Monomaniac · · Morrison, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 17,430

Check out the NE Butt of Slesse. It's an awesome route, one of the best alpine rock routes in NA IMO. The normal descent is down the south side, so a car shuttle or bike shuttle is pretty much mandatory. I did with a bike and it was really fun. Not single track, but rough logging roads.

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 6,415

Set your base camp in the Pine Lake Campground (USFS) and then head UP to the "Jungle" mountainproject.com/v/jungl...

jkd159 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 20

Awesome! Thanks for all the ideas. I'll definitely be hitting up some of those.

Steven Groetken · · Durango, CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 390

Engineer mountain near Durango. Not a hard climb at all, but stunning view from the top and amazing biking. Here's a video I shot.

https://vimeo.com/99101543

Bill M · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 321

Can you Mountain bike into the Pope's Nose outside Durango?

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348
Bill M wrote:Can you Mountain bike into the Pope's Nose outside Durango?
No.
s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

Not exactly what your looking for but if you are in the area Camp Bird road to South Slopes on Mt. Sneffels is a great way to easily bag a 14er. Then back down to Ouray or Ridgway for a pint or two and a soak. Fun.

Summit shot from last time I was over there.

How do you make the summit more beautiful? Doug Bryson celebrates after ascending the Southwest Ridge 2 days before knee surgery for a torn miniscus. These young women had just done South Slopes as their first 14er. 9/11/03. It snowed the next day.

jon jugenheimer · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,049

The Emperor Ridge on Mt. Robson in BC. You can bike the first 9K, then the next 9K is on foot to the base of the ridge. To the top, then down the South Face and back to your bikes to ride out.

Steven Groetken · · Durango, CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 390
Bill M wrote:Can you Mountain bike into the Pope's Nose outside Durango?
That's in the Weminuche. Wilderness area, so you're not even allowed to think about anything with a mechanical advantage.
Long Ranger · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 75

If you would like to bag any of the other 14ers, approaching by bike - lemme know: I've done them all like that. Silverton/Lake City make a great base to park yer car, then take bikes up the rough 4wd/atv trails.

For Popes Nose, looks like you can go a bit far about FSR 501, before hitting Wilderness.

Jon H · · MD/DC · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 123

Friends of mine just climbed Audobon last week. They parked at the Brainard Lake Winter Lot, biked the 2 miles along the road (currently closed to vehicles) to arrive at the trailhead, then locked the bikes to a tree, climbed Audobon, descended, then biked back to the car.

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640
LongRanger wrote:The climbing is easy, but the views are stunning: Ride up Lake Como Road in the Blanca Group in the Sangres of CO, and solo the Little Bear - Blanca traverse, tag Ellingwood Pt. as well. You will want a very early start, camping at the top of the road would be ideal. mountainproject.com/v/littl...
Just don't get run over by 4wd vehicles. Should be clear by early august except for T Storms,,it's been pretty snowy the last month or so.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply