Recommended Glacier/Alpine Routes - Cascades, etc

Original Post
Nolan Huther · May 21, 2016 · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 602
I'm looking for good peaks and routes to attempt in the Cascades or the volcanoes. Eldorado Peak's East Ridge is a good one I'm looking at, anything similar in terms of difficulty (or lack thereof), positioning and scenery? Mount Hood's standard South Side Route is tempting as well, but the described crowds seem a bit of a distraction.

Avi Katz · May 21, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 130
North Ridge of Baker

Max Leitner · May 23, 2016 · Seattle, Washington · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0
Check out Jim Nelson's guidebooks "Selected Climbs in the Cascades" Vol 1 &2. Great stuff to keep you busy and a good starting point as far as beta goes.

Nolan Huther · May 23, 2016 · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 602
Great recommendations! I'll look into the guidebook- coming from Upstate NY I'm not exactly a local and not familiar with a lot of this region

Nick Drake · May 23, 2016 · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 413
I wouldn't go up the gully on SEWS now. It is melted out already and just a choss pile of crap w/o snow. Really sketchy for party induced rockfall.

If you're already out on cascade river road Sahale is gorgeous. Some exposed rock scramble, you can rap off the summit, nothing too technical.

Snowfield peak is a good one.

Black peak.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply