Mountain Project Logo

Attending to MILD rope damage

Original Post
JRZane · · Jersey · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 95

This post may demonstrate my ignorance, so let me get this out of the way: no, I don't climb nearly as hard as you or your girlfriend or your mom. And yes, of course I'll send the rope to you for inspection! I'll throw in my rack too so you can test that out too.

Now down to business. I noticed some rope damage about 15ft into a 9.4mm 60m rope. The rope is about a year old and has only a couple light sport falls and one trad fall. It's been used for top roping on probably ~20-25 outings.

imgur.com/RvInLPN
imgur.com/Ihfh9ZP

I noticed this damage to the sheath today and am not sure how it came about but am nearly certain it wasn't from a fall. As you can see, a few strands of the weave are cut. If you pull/push the fuzz outta the way I believe I can juuuust see the core.

I know today it's fine to climb on. But what do I need to do to make sure that's the case as long as possible and how do I know when it's no longer safe? Other than making sure my partner is tying in to that end, any other recommendations/advice?

Thanks!

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 209

If the core is showing I would cut it out. That's just me.

gjmike · · grand junction · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 5

First the good news: There are thousands of climbs that you can do with a 55 meter rope. The bad news: There are some climbs (and a lot of rappels) that require a longer rope.

Andrew Williams · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 625

If the core is showing just chop it. It;s a bummer to do, but better to be safe. I had to chop a few meters off a brand new Helix after the first day out from a sharp edge.

bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 3,065

Chop it

- dont TR on a 9.4 mm, get an el cheapo ~10mm for that

- get a 70m so when you chop it itll likely still be 60m

;)

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

Just take a lighter and lightly singe the frays. Good ass new.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Use your best judgement and trust your gut feeling. It looks fine from the pictures, but I would want to see in person and feel it before I trusted it. If you continue use, I would suggest throwing a wrap of tape around that spot.

Doug S · · W Pa · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 55

Please don't interpret this as me being argumentative or starting MP thread fights. But I'd like to respectfully disagree with the last two posters.
1. Pretty sure the lighter comment was a joke, and that's cool. But just making sure the OP knows that too.
2. I would not tape it because you would be concealing a damaged, weak point in the rope from sight, when I believe it would be safer to be able to visually inspect it.

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186
Doug S wrote:Please don't interpret this as me being argumentative or starting MP thread fights. But I'd like to respectfully disagree with the last two posters. 1. Pretty sure the lighter comment was a joke, and that's cool. But just making sure the OP knows that too. 2. I would not tape it because you would be concealing a damaged, weak point in the rope from sight, when I believe it would be safer to be able to visually inspect it.
It was indeed a joke. Probably never a good idea to apply fire to the middle of a piece of plastic designed to save your life.
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Hobo Greg wrote:When in doubt throw it out. The fact that you had to post here says you are in doubt. I certainly wouldnt want to tie in on that rope, and whoever mentioned taping it, now youre hiding it from any other climber you climb with. Not good.
Hobo Greg wrote:I'm a new climber (less than 2 years) , have only climbed outside, and take Leave No Trace to heart (have gotten LNT Master Educatorbtraining). I for one would love to be a part of the "climbers as stewards" idea. Show me how to replace bolts, I'd love to help.
For a relatively new climber, you give a lot of advice.
Hobo Greg wrote:When in doubt throw it out. The fact that you had to post here says you are in doubt. I certainly wouldnt want to tie in on that rope, and whoever mentioned taping it, now youre hiding it from any other climber you climb with. Not good.
Just because I'm asking a question regarding management of damage does not mean I'm in doubt of the entire ropes integrity. Tossing the entire rope is just foolish. But thanks for your considerations.

I'll certainly consider chopping it down and using it for shorter climbs. I've got a family friend whom I just learned is coming into town next weekend and who's been climbing quite a long time. While I appreciate the advice in the thread (some more than other (joke!)), it'll be nice to have someone finger it a bit and give me some recommendations.

Again Greg, my question was focused on caring for a rope that has a little sheath damage. If your contribution is saying to chop it or throw it out, then I've already thanked you for that perspective. Perhaps others, who have been climbing more than a couple seasons, have had some experience and would be willing to share.

Going back and forth about "if you have to ask, you might as well just quit" mentality is neither enjoyable nor informative. If you've got something else to add relates to caring for a rope with some sheath damage, I'm all ears.

Sorry if I sound condescending, don't mean it that way. HAPPY climbing!

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

That's not core. Core is twisted strands which run parallel to the rope.
A very good lesson i was taught early on, and take to heart, is is it worth the nagging doubt in the back of your mind when you are making that sketch move, "Is this rope/gear/sling/draw/whatever going to hold me"?
Retire the old soft goods, inspect the dropped gear, chop the damaged rope.
I dropped a 200# chockstone from a chimney onto a brand new, unused, unclimbed on 70m rope. I swore like a sailor, and had a brand new 57m rope.
Your call; I'd chop it.

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
Lou Cerutti wrote:If the core is showing I would cut it out. That's just me.
+1

Seeing the core is bad. Owning a shorter rope than you did yesterday isn't great, but isn't the worst thing ever.

I also agree with other posters here, get a thicker rope for tope roping, it will last longer. 10-10.2 are great work horse sizes. I use something in that range for %90+ of my climbing and never have a problem. Skinny ropes come out For something near at my limit (on lead, if you're working out the moves on toprope before leading it use a fatty for durability), or something I have to schlep the thing a long way before climbing with it.

My $.02
Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930

Looks good to me.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Hobo Greg wrote:I'm a new climber (less than 2 years) , have only climbed outside
FrankPS wrote: For a relatively new climber, you give a lot of advice.
Hobo's "wisdom" rivals NESteve's.

Is there some toxic fume exuded by new Camalots that makes some novice trad climbers judgmental, intolerant and self-important?

And for the OP, I think it's pretty hard to offer advice about your rope without seeing it in person.
That being said, if it does have a core shot, I'd chop that end.
EthanC · · Bay Area, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 253

Just another perspective, in case you don't have enough.

I had a brand new 9.6, and stupidly tried out my new tibloc on it. I partially weighted it before the teeth engaged, dragging the sharp teeth over all the strands of a two inch spot. After careful inspection, I decided the core had not been compromised, and the sheath was plenty intact, so I wasn't gonna cut it.

However, EVERYONE that ties into my rope makes a comment about it and questions it, and when I'm shaking out at a bolt, the fuzzy part is right in my face. I know my rope is fine, but even still, it gives me the occasional pause. So if you don't cut it, be prepared to live with that internal and external doubt.

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

That's about the same damage my year-old rope had (which I just retired). I climbed on it a couple more times and decided that was close enough.

While it appears that the core is not compromised, the loss of the cross-weave in the sheath may more easily expose the core to dirt and other elements.

It's your call, but with climbing gear, better safe than sorry.

A shorter rope makes a great gym rope!

Medic741 · · Des Moines, IA (WTF) · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 265

^^^ the fuzzy part is staring me in the face. Yes. There's no way to fix it, it's a heart breaker to cut a rope but for our modern safety conscious seat belt wearing cam placing ethos, cutting is the normative choice ;)

While I still plan on seeking in-person consultation, the location in question is 12.5' from one end. So making a 200' rope a 187.5' rope isn't disaster....100' max pitch is now a 90' max pitch.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
JRZane wrote:While I still plan on seeking in-person consultation, the location in question is 12.5' from one end. So making a 200' rope a 187.5' rope isn't disaster....100' max pitch is now a 90' max pitch.
Just remember that 100 foot rappel is going to be close to the ends. Watch your ends and be sure they're close to or on the ground.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Attending to MILD rope damage"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started