Resolved


Original Post
VARMENT Arment · May 20, 2016 · Boulder, Colorado · Joined May 2010 · Points: 90
If you've ever had a project at seal rock it's likely that you've stashed a rope or used a stashed rope. Many of us have done it over the years. Recently three ropes were stolen from the stash. A person would have had to look hard to have found them or have known where they were. Im going to hope that someone made a mistake or maybe a OSMP ranger thought it was inappropriate and took them.
No worries if you or someone you know took the ropes. I think speak for the community when I say I'd like to be able to share places like Seal Rock without stashed ropes getting jacked.

If you know anything we'd love the ropes back.

Marc801 C · May 20, 2016 · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
VARMENT wrote:If you've ever had a project at seal rock it's likely that you've stashed a rope or used a stashed rope. Many of us have done it over the years. Recently three ropes were stolen from the stash. A person would have had to look hard to have found them or have known where they were. Im going to hope that someone made a mistake or maybe a OSMP ranger thought it was inappropriate and took them. No worries if you or someone you know took the ropes. I think speak for the community when I say I'd like to be able to share places like Seal Rock without stashed ropes getting jacked. If you know anything we'd love the ropes back.
I'm curious. Why are there stashed ropes there?

VARMENT Arment · May 20, 2016 · Boulder, Colorado · Joined May 2010 · Points: 90
Marc801 wrote: I'm curious. Why are there stashed ropes there?
Marc,
It's a long steep hike and you really wouldn't find yourself up there unless you were working one of the routes...

The Blueprint Part Dank · May 21, 2016 · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 40
Let's avoid a debate on stashing ropes at Seal Rock, it's a broad, wide-ranging topic that could easily take over this post.If you want to have that discussion, make another thread.

Dudes are just trying to find their ropes...

(Good luck with that btw...)

Marc801 C · May 22, 2016 · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
The Blueprint Part Dank wrote:Let's avoid a debate on stashing ropes at Seal Rock, it's a broad, wide-ranging topic that could easily take over this post.If you want to have that discussion, make another thread. Dudes are just trying to find their ropes... (Good luck with that btw...)
I agree. I was just curious. I know nothing of Seal Rock.

Christian George · May 22, 2016 · Ridgway CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0
Too bad they don't teach good ethics anymore.
Pack it in, pack it out.
If that's too hard for you to understand, there will be plenty of us to clean up after you.

The outdoors is not your climbing gym.

The hike is long and steep...
To get to a difficult rock climb?
Ask your mommy to carry it for you.

Eliot Augusto · May 22, 2016 · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 15
Christian George wrote:Too bad they don't teach good ethics anymore. Pack it in, pack it out. If that's too hard for you to understand, there will be plenty of us to clean up after you. The outdoors is not your climbing gym. The hike is long and steep... To get to a difficult rock climb? Ask your mommy to carry it for you.
I don't have any feelings about it one way or the other. I think that if you leave gear out of your sight, you are chancing it getting stolen. If you don't accept that, then don't leave it. If gear is left because the owner doesn't want anymore, then fuck that.

But if I'm not mistaken it is common to stash gear in Yosemite, the birth place of climbing in the US. Wasn't the first ascent of El Cap essentially a non-stop session of stashed gear?

Seb303 · May 23, 2016 · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 5
Christian George wrote:Too bad they don't teach good ethics anymore. Pack it in, pack it out. If that's too hard for you to understand, there will be plenty of us to clean up after you. The outdoors is not your climbing gym. The hike is long and steep... To get to a difficult rock climb? Ask your mommy to carry it for you.
Ethics, you mean like not stealing from a fellow climber? Yeah too bad. Apparently they don't teach empathy either anymore. Pack it in pack it out? Come on dude that's referring to trash, not a climbing rope that's been temporally hidden from site. I'm sure they had no intention of leaving it there indefinitely. Lighten up.

Bill Kirby · May 23, 2016 · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 40
Christian George wrote:Too bad they don't teach good ethics anymore. Pack it in, pack it out. If that's too hard for you to understand, there will be plenty of us to clean up after you. The outdoors is not your climbing gym. The hike is long and steep... To get to a difficult rock climb? Ask your mommy to carry it for you.
Troll troll troll ur boat gently down the stream

Bill Kirby · May 25, 2016 · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 40
Actually 5.5.. I haven't updated my profile since last year :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply