Mountain Project Logo

new generation climbers just use crags

Original Post
Yeitti · · Colorado or sometimes LA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 30

The new generation of climbers just use and abuse crags! "Whats in it for them?" they think. They never do anything to up keep an area (replace bolts and anchors as needed, help clean up after other ignorant people leaving toilet mess paper everywhere...) It's a real shame that the new "what's in it for me generation will make a real mess of our loved climbing areas. They think everything is just a gym!

Clay Hansen · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 35

I'm guessing this will go 3 pages minimum.

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175

6 pages

Old climbers
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Yeitti wrote:The new generation of climbers just use and abuse crags! "Whats in it for them?" they think. They never do anything to up keep an area (replace bolts and anchors as needed, help clean up after other ignorant people leaving toilet mess paper everywhere...) It's a real shame that the new "what's in it for me generation will make a real mess of our loved climbing areas. They think everything is just a gym!
Which crag do you replace bolts on? Do you have a crag you take ownership of?
Brendan Blanchard · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 590

For all this talk of contributions, you've posted six comments on MP, all but one of which are grinding the same axe (is it dull yet?).

Where's the heartless "YER GUNNA DIE!!" responses to serious safety questions? Where are your sarcastic, unhelpful comments on forum posts? Where are your endless route ticks and star ratings, and generally unhelpful beta comments? Do you even know what the number for Rock and Resole is?!

It sounds like you could be a contributing a lot more to the community here, but you're just sitting around and letting everyone else do the hard work. I suggest you leave and stop free-loading here!

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 145

I'm a new climber (less than 2 years) , have only climbed outside, and take Leave No Trace to heart (have gotten LNT Master Educatorbtraining). I for one would love to be a part of the "climbers as stewards" idea. Show me how to replace bolts, I'd love to help.

Christian · · Casa do Cacete · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 1,495

l'enfer c'est les autres

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 681

Yeah..ok...because the older generations didn't do things that were objectionable.

You must realize that the whole "this whole generation of no good...." is bullshit.

nomadian · · MA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 20

I call troll...

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 175

i think in general what actually happens, is as people age, they realize how their actions impact the world and become more responsible. leading to older people acting like grown ups and cleaning up after themselves. thats not to say there arent young people who are responsible or old people who never became responsible.

its not a generational thing. if you go back to when you were a kid, there were probably a lot of people in your generation littering, leaving a trace, only considering their own experiences etc. ive gone on climbs and seen plenty of old beer/pop cans that havent been made during my generation (im 28).

JulianG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 130
20 kN wrote: This has been the general attitude of humans since the dawn of mankind, it's not really specific to this generation. I can also tell you for every kid that doesent give AF, there is a 40-year-old guy that doesent care either. This problem exists in basically every sport. Look at hiking. I've seen 50-year-old grown men drink some water from a bottle, then just toss it down the cliff like he was standing on a landfill. I've also seen grown men take a crap five feet from the trail head. Many people in general, regardless of age, dont really care.
damn narcissistic Millennials.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2…
Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 90

Same as it's always been. Except now we have social media. This makes it seem that the percentages are higher but in fact there's just more people. More responsible people have grown equally with irresponsible people. The places you once kept secret are now known by everyone. A popular hiking area in LA just got shut down due to large amounts of graffiti. When I looked up the hashtag to the place, I actually saw pictures of people spraying the rocks. Stanford Alumni posted their intent to continue spraying and the next day the door was locked. All we can do is be there when it happens. Raise your voice. Take pics and let your local agency be aware. Our wilderness is in need.

Christian · · Casa do Cacete · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 1,495

Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean

Jon Hemlock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 5
Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 549
Christian wrote:Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was... Water dissolving...and water removing There is water at the bottom of the ocean
How did I get here?
This is not my beautiful vansion.
This is not my beautiful sailboat...

And please may you find yourself
In another part of the world
Lhotsa · · Telluride, CO · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 605
Clay Hansen wrote:I'm guessing this will go 3 pages minimum.
13 pages, Clay, 13 pages.
Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Fact. teenagers are stupid and do a lot of thoughtless crap. Usually but not allways we figure out what assholes we were and we get our shit squared away by the time we hit 30...

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 90

http://www.modernhiker.com/tag/jim-morrison-cave/

Yeitti · · Colorado or sometimes LA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 30
Tim Lutz wrote:Yetti is the Meerkat Hellenor and it doesn't climb 5.13, as the profile says
like you know mr lutz! I'd out climb you any day any style anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Yeitti wrote: like you know mr lutz! I'd out climb you any day any style anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So this thread descended into dick swinging within a ~dozen posts? Oh goody.
JK- · · SLC · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 58
Nick Goldsmith wrote:Fact. teenagers are stupid and do a lot of thoughtless crap. Usually but not allways we figure out what assholes we were and we get our shit squared away by the time we hit 30...
Or we just find new shit, like complaining about the younger generation, ruining the economy, continuing to drive like dumbasses even though we can afford a nicer car to do it in, etc...
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply