Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Tetons over July 4th

Original Post
Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

A family vacation puts me in the area over the holiday weekend. At what elevation will I probably hit snow? In a perfect world, I'd run up the OS, but I've heard the Grand is still snowy until later in July. Any good non-technical (or low 5th, basically no harder than OS or Upper Exum...I've done both) summits going to be doable around then? I'll be by myself, I'll have half a day, I'll be in good trail running shape, and I'm comfortable with exposure. What are my options?

luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 50

It snowed at the upper saddle in late July/ early August last year... so it just depends. Your best bet on the Grand is one of the ridges (Exum, Petzoldt, ect.). They melt out and dry off faster than the OS. There are also a bunch of peaks with low 5th class routes or scrambling to the summit such as the Middle and South Teton, Buck Mountain, and Teewinot.

Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

"There are also a bunch of peaks with low 5th class routes or scrambling to the summit such as the Middle and South Teton, Buck Mountain, and Teewinot."

Of these, the East Ridge of Buck is a fun climb--interesting with some nice exposure. Take your ice axe for the descent.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Tetons over July 4th"
in the Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas