Mountain Project Logo

Chicks With Nuts℠ Summertime Event In Seneca Rocks, WV!


Original Post
Kelly FIelds · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 55
Summer 2016 CWN Ladies Only Multi-Pitch Trad Climbing Event

Chicks With Nuts, hosted by Seneca Rocks Mountain Guides, is the only women's climbing program that focuses primarily on multi-pitch trad climbing. Their guides help women of all experience levels develop skills they need to climb mountains of any size.

Join us this July 15th - 17th in Seneca Rocks, WV to benefit from this unique women's only climbing program designed for women, by women. Spend two days climbing with a guide and a partner of similar ability level covering skills ranging from trad climbing fundamentals, to gear and anchor building skills for leading, to much needed self-rescue techniques

As a way to promote female camaraderie the Chicks With Nuts events include your Saturday night dinner, camping, and breakfast for the weekend. Check out more on their website or Facebook page .

WHEN: July 15th - 17th
WHERE: Seneca Rocks,WV
PRICE: $500
WHAT: Two days climbing instruction, climbing equipment, Friday night warm up (meet and greet), Saturday night dinner, camping, and breakfast for the weekend.
WHY: To celebrate climbing a like a girl in this male dominated sport while becoming more competent, confident, and independent climbers.
Andre H. · · Boulder · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 5

Soooo....if I started a "Guys With Jugs" sport climbing clinic, would you guys be psyched?!?

wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 84
Andre H. wrote:Soooo....if I started a "Guys With Jugs" sport climbing clinic, would you guys be psyched?!?

Knock yerself out.
Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115
Andre H. wrote:Soooo....if I started a "Guys With Jugs" sport climbing clinic, would you guys be psyched?!?
Sport climbing for dudes with man boobs? At least these comments, while dumb, will bump the thread and people might see it/go, I hear these programs are pretty sweet.
closed · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Andre just feels bad that he is excluded from a cool event because of his gender.

Kelly FIelds · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 55
Mitch Kelly wrote:Andre just feels bad that he is excluded from a cool event because of his gender.
The type of banter that has been displayed on every single CWN advertisement here on MP for the past five years is one small example of why these sorts of women's only events are both valuable and necessary. To diminish the spirit of these events by implying that we are being sexist is to misunderstand completely over half of the population's perspective in this world, and the individual needs that stem from their place in this society.

Five years into this, the childish banter no longer bothers me. But a comment such at this cuts deeper, and picks directly at the core of CWN and our mission as an organization. This is not about promoting any sort of gender divide; this is about supporting women in their pursuit of rock climbing so as to not only close the gender gap in our small world of rock climbing, but to close the gender gap in this world as a whole.

To this day, in this country, women are paid 80 cents to a mans dollar. Women in this country were not granted the right to vote until 1920. Women in this country did not gain 'equal' opportunity in sports until 1972. With no fault to women whatsoever, there simply is no doubting the fact that men do have a social leg up on women in this country and in this world as a whole. It is simply the way it is -- simply the way the world's history has written it. That is why events such as this are important; there is a huge demographic that now, in this time, has more opportunity than ever before. We owe it to the men and women who fought for our rights before us to keep fueling the fire.

Regardless of how we feel personally about gender inequality on both a national and international scale, at the end of the day the fact of the matter is that women's only events absolutely inspire women. Not only do these experiences get them psyched on rock climbing -- the benefits women get from the camaraderie that is created when women come together to celebrate being a woman stems into the everyday lives of these women which will undoubtedly have a positive influence on this world all together.

Climb on brother -- I support you.
closed · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I'm sure its a great event and all the women enjoy it. But it still feels bad to be excluded from a cool event in a place you really like because of your gender.

You can talk about how gender inequality is bad and i think everyone will agree with you.

dylan grabowski · · Denver · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 55
Kelly FIelds wrote: The type of banter that has been displayed on every single CWN advertisement here on MP for the past five years is one small example of why these sorts of women's only events are both valuable and necessary. To diminish the spirit of these events by implying that we are being sexist is to misunderstand completely over half of the population's perspective in this world, and the individual needs that stem from their place in this society. Five years into this, the childish banter no longer bothers me. But a comment such at this cuts deeper, and picks directly at the core of CWN and our mission as an organization. This is not about promoting any sort of gender divide; this is about supporting women in their pursuit of rock climbing so as to not only close the gender gap in our small world of rock climbing, but to close the gender gap in this world as a whole. To this day, in this country, women are paid 80 cents to a mans dollar. Women in this country were not granted the right to vote until 1920. Women in this country did not gain 'equal' opportunity in sports until 1972. With no fault to women whatsoever, there simply is no doubting the fact that men do have a social leg up on women in this country and in this world as a whole. It is simply the way it is -- simply the way the world's history has written it. That is why events such as this are important; there is a huge demographic that now, in this time, has more opportunity than ever before. We owe it to the men and women who fought for our rights before us to keep fueling the fire. Regardless of how we feel personally about gender inequality on both a national and international scale, at the end of the day the fact of the matter is that women's only events absolutely inspire women. Not only do these experiences get them psyched on rock climbing -- the benefits women get from the camaraderie that is created when women come together to celebrate being a woman stems into the everyday lives of these women which will undoubtedly have a positive influence on this world all together. Climb on brother -- I support you.
A year and a half ago, there was a great episode on the Enormocast that touched on a women-centric climbing course which deals with addressing and overcoming gender issues. I'd implore both sexes to listen to this episode, and gain a better understanding of pre-conditioned gender roles and why this type of event is an important one, even when men "feel left out of cool climbing things."

enormocast.com/episode-67-d…
Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95
Mitch Kelly wrote:I'm sure its a great event and all the women enjoy it. But it still feels bad to be excluded from a cool event in a place you really like because of your gender. You can talk about how international gender inequality is bad and i think everyone will agree with you.
I'm with Mitch here. As a straight, white, Christian male, I'm definitely one of the most discriminated-against people in this country. I'm so sick of political correctness ruining my life and I'm even more sick of historically marginalized groups doing things together without inviting or consulting me. And Beyonce doesn't even try to make music that resonates with me.

Anyway - see you at the protest to demand White History Month?
Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

And yeah - it really sucks that a dude can't attend this. There are literally zero other venues for a dude who wants to get together with other people who rock climb. I'm not sure how he'll manage.

closed · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Screw you guys. I'm not even the one who made the lame 'dudes with jugs' joke.

Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

No. But you're defending the idea that men should be able to insist (or complain that they're excluded from) on attending events where women specifically attend in order to feel more comfortable in a place typically dominated by dudes.

And that's dumb.

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 331

How soon in advance do you think you will announce the western location/date ? My fiance really wanted to attend last year at jtree but we had a scheduling conflict.....also consider RedRock? Haha

matt c. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 155

Kelly your links to your webpage and Fb are broken.

Also, I am curious to hear the story behind your namesake?

Medic741 · · Red Hook, New York · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 265

Annnnd this is why my female climbing partners feel uncomfortable going to the gym. I don't get why 'guys' choose to not be an ally Gender differences are real and instead of belittling that difference let's celebrate that this awesome group exists.

closed · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Anyway, I will rest that weekend so I can climb hard at the homoclimbtastic event next weekend at the new. chicks with nuts and dudes with jugs welcome!

goingUp · · over here · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 40

Mitch, let it go.... your stuck between a rock and an army. there is no typing your way out of this. misinterpreted as your comments may have been. there is an overwhelming amount of people who either wish to make this a joke and trivialize it, or seriously demean it (note i am not saying that was your intention, but you do make a joke of the forum and idea)
These events are a wonderful way to encourage the female gender to push themselves, realize personal goals, and socialize in a predominantly male dominated society and culture, as well as function as a kind of, support group. Yes - men tend to dominate the extreme sports including rock climbing. Not that women climbers are not better than myself and most of my male counterparts...

I have some friends who started a company called Dutchess Ride doing similar things for girls who snowboard and skateboard. These girls crush it!

Kelly, good luck and have a great weekend ladies!

closed · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

can you guys please rag on the poster who made the joke about guys with jugs instead of me? All i did was give some context to his bad joke.

edit: goingup, thanks i guess.

David Peterson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 130

DERAILED!!!!!

Sends McGee · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 15

Just wait till our African American brothers start crushing rock and make their own climbing groups.

In all seriousness though, I really do feel bad for you women who feel guys dominate climbing to the point where you have to isolate yourselves from the rest of the climbing world.

yukonjack · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 15
Chelsea Kimiko wrote: Encouraging women to climb, even to get outdoors and try something new is so important to the feminist movement and to women's rights.
Must we encourage any one group by excluding others? Do you not know any male feminists?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Chicks With Nuts℠ Summertime Event In Seneca Ro…"
in the General Climbing

Log In to Reply