Mountain Project Logo

When you buy this, please call me. You're welcome.

Original Post
Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 775

From the real-estate ad:

"This one bedroom, one bath, two level cabin has been used only as a second home about 2-4 times a year. It is located at the base of Turkey Rock, so you have the choice of walking 5 minutes to climb, or sitting on your deck and watching others do the climbing!"

I love to chop wood, fill beer fridge, and clear defensive space

Nick Votto · · CO, CT, IT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 320

WOW, I should buy this and airbnb it forever

Been looking at places in Denver that are shit and double the price

Sirius · · Oakland, CA · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 660

Hnnnnngghhh want!

Shelton Hatfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 650

I wish I hadn't seen this. But thank you, Rob

Thank me later!

Lauren Fallsoffrocks · · A beach with climbing · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 260

I definitely don't have the down for that just laying around...

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

My offer would never be accepted. 189,000 - cost to replace roof with metal - cost to replace siding with something fire retardant. Wonder what insurance is like?

Cool house though.

Forget part of that, it has a metal roof, not comfy with the siding though.

Ron Pivo · · Westcreek · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5

Anyone seriously considering purchasing this property for use as an airb&b should understand that they will likely be violating the covenents established for Turkey Rock Ranch Estates. Additionally, paying guests would still need to cross private property in order to access Turkey Rock, and I can asssure you that it is extremely unlikely that permission to cross will be granted by the current property owners, who are year round residents.

The property, known locally as the Oldenburg place, is very small, and overpriced based on recent sales in the immediate vicinity, but would make a great climber's cabin. If not used as a commercial property, you could probably obtain permission from the adjacent land owners to access Turkey Rock, but I would suggest asking before you sign a real estate contract.

Covenants don't seem to mention any ban on vacation rentals. Check it out.

But yeah, 190K seems like an awful lot for what you're getting.

Mike Hazard · · Ballston Lake, NY · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 310
u.zillow.com/p2IHRVD/

I can't personally afford either but for 'just' 70k more you could have the same 1 bed 1 bath in Keene Valley, NY (prime ADK location) but with a view, a deck, a guesthouse which you can AirBnB and 5+ acres which there looks to be a decent sized cliff on right below your porch. So please call ME when you buy THIS one :)

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

So we have a house for sale in Colorado in the middle of Forrest Fire central with wood siding and a house in the middle of the woods of New York with no insulation. WTF?

tim · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 507

That development is an abomination.

Who needs insulation? Just fire up the wood stove and throw on a puffy then rap off your front porch to your own personal Ouray ice park that you created out of runoff from your garden hose.

doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264
Mike Hazard wrote:Who needs insulation? Just fire up the wood stove and throw on a puffy then rap off your front porch to your own personal Ouray ice park that you created out of runoff from your garden hose.
Mike, that attitude could be misconstrued, sorry. You realize that people who live in the area year around, would not be saying that, right?

Misguided buyers like you, Zillow/Trulia and other online real estate websites are driving real estate prices in rural/mountain towns insane. This is so fucked up - people buy houses without ever looking at them in person, or never even visiting the area in all seasons. Buyers from metropolitan areas with deep pockets think any shithole with a sub 300k price tag is a bargain, while locals who have to live and work in the community year around and make the area viable and attractive in the first place, can barely or not afford that.

Case and point, there is a second home in Ouray that's been on the market forever got hit by a 2-ton boulder. Apparently they missed an obvious mud-slide/rockfall wall behind the property. They took sweet 100k off the asking price, but it's still priced at 280 -wtf?
mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Doligo, I'm assuming you missed just a bit of sarcasm from Mikes post.

And realty websites aren't driving up real estate prices in rural/mountain towns, supply and demand are.

lou · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 60

doligo.... very uptight...dumb broad...talk about an idiot.. oh..." im sorry "

doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264

Sorry, I didn't catch the sarcasm. But it the point still is the Internet is making price inflation easier. Especially with vacation rentals or slight possibility of vacation rentals. I myself, am guilty of salivating over $50K cabins near RRG, but I have no idea what it is like to live around there except for it's close to the world class climbing area. Like in this case of the cabin by Turkey Rocks - yeah, as a climber you find a value in it but only limited amount of days in a year, while the rest of the year you have to deal with either flush floods or fire. True market forces/rules are only valid in more populated areas, in rural areas it's very easy to skew the comps with one wacky deal. I personally know (or know of) two people who signed the deal without visiting the property.

P.S. sounds like even Denver is moving in the right direction by moving to ban full-time vacation rentals that are not occupied by owners.

Judging from the (low) amount of traffic, closed shades, empty yards etc. the Turkey Rocks Estates is not exactly a vibrant community. Not sure how many jobs there are in that neck of the woods but I think given the no-trailer policy, minimum house size requirements etc. there's probably cheaper places to live in the greater Woodland Park area.

House in question is currently unoccupied, FWIW.

But I hear ya doligo, there's nothing good about wealthy urbanites trying to purchase a fantasy of mountain-town life that they've done nothing to actually commit to or create, and driving out the actual locals who are trying to eke out that life in the bargain.

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Hahaha I actually went and looked at this place in January. Its small and not worth 189,000. There are adjacent property lots between this property and the public land and rocks. I contacted the owners of said property just to see if they were interested in selling, and they were not at this time. The covenants allow for property to be rented, but no businesses may operate within the estates other than rentals.

Yea, I'm not a misguided home buyer - I'm not a home buyer at all actually. I do think it's maybe a bit overpriced and I wasn't actually planning on or suggesting that (although I do have a real estate license and if someone thinks it's a good idea I'll be happy to represent you).

Assuming someone reading this is now interested in purchasing this lovely piece of paradise... if you did want to rent out the included guest house full time as a vacation property you could skirt any future laws banning you from doing so since you could hypothetically be occupying the main residence. And then charge an admission fee to your ice climbing park.

To be clear I am still being sarcastic... Even though no one/nothing is ever going to make prices in Keene Valley (or any other rural/mountain town near good climbing/fishing/hiking/kayaking/etc.) go down ever again.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "When you buy this, please call me. You're welcome."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started