How hard to work and live in Squamish as an American?

Original Post
t.ferguson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 40

Hey there,

I am a US citizen and have completely fallen in love with Squamish- the town and the climbing. I know that I can apply for a work visa and get all of the paperwork done, my question is- what is the likelihood I would actually get hired- particularly on the lower end of the job spectrum. I would likely be looking to work in any position available- food service, retail clerk, you name it. I have worked for several years as a multi pitch guide and have a good resume in the outdoor education field, but I wouldn't want to count on getting hired over a Canadian by any of the companies that base out of Squamish.

Anyone have any experience/input?

Cheers,

Tess

Yury · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Have you already asked Will Gadd?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

If I didn't know anyone there (which I don't), I would call the chamber of commerce in Squamish, if there is one, and call some of the bigger private employers (hotels, grocery stores, department stores). "Do you hire Americans with a work visa?"

Can't hurt to try that.

bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 25

very good in the summer, especially if you have a car (work in whistler)

tourism and the service industry is pretty big ... foreign folks get hired all the time for service jobs

;)

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 40

It will be difficult unless you A, have money or B, have a job offer. Even then Americans don't get work visa or their version of a green card as easy as other countries.

The good thing is you can visit Squamish for six months on a tourist visa...

I used to own a condo in the upper village of Whistler. We planned to retire there. We also planned to park our nest egg in a Canadian bank. This would have granted us citizenship.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply