How to best tell if RR is good-to-go post rain

Original Post
The Blueprint Part Dank · Apr 29, 2016 · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 40
So, I've heard that if you look at the ground around your climb and the ground is dry, powdery sand, then you're good to go?

Any other ways to make sure I'm not being that guy climbing too soon after the rain?

JK- · Apr 29, 2016 · SLC · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 13
Dry powdery sand has always worked for me. If in doubt hit some of the nearby limestone or granite though. Desert rock sports on Charleston is a great resource for educated local guesses on if stuff will be dry, and alternates to the sandstone if its not.

John Wilder · Apr 29, 2016 · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,495
It's pretty much the only way to have an idea, and even then it's not foolproof.

It's warming up fast, once the rains stop on Monday, the hills should be fine Wednesday and the canyons Thursday or Friday (depending on aspect) at the latest.

I usually give the canyons an extra day since they have to drain and there is just a lot more rock and aspects that can hold water.

Burcheydawwwwwwg · Apr 29, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 375
If only there were 12,000 other threads exactly like this one

Bill Lawry · Apr 29, 2016 · New Mexico · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,394
We some hyper multi-spectral sensors aimed at strategic locations with auto feed to the web. Dryness could be expressed in terms of distance from calibration signals: really soaked cal signal versus,say, some cal signal 15 days after the last rain in the heat of the summer.

Yes?
:-)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply