Mountain Project Logo

Looking for a new home in Canada (climb/work)

Original Post
Jenna Steff · · London · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

I am currently looking to move somewhere in Canada where I'll be able to climb, mtb and work all relatively in the same area. The most important factor is finding a job within my career choice (architect). I have been looking around Vancouver but I know that's a very expensive place to live. Does anyone have any other suggestions for cities/towns to live in with great climbing nearby?

sourisse · · Toronto, Canada · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 175

Canmore, or Calgary if you're looking for a larger city. There are some great crags near Lake Louise and of course mountains everywhere. MTB and ice climbing scenes are off the hook, and Squamish is less than an 8 hour drive if you want to mix things up.

Hmm I'll have to look into Calgary then! I didn't know it was within 8 hours of squamish either. Thanks for the suggestion!

Danika M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Vancouver living gets less expensive the further out of the city you are too. I dont know if you could get an architect job in Squamish but i know of people who commute from Squamish to Vancouver. Its long tho. Its a nice place to live

Yeah from what I've seen architecture firms stay closer to big cities. But the commute might be worth it for a beautiful place like Squamish!

Brad Warne · · Calgary, Alberta · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 945

Born and breed in Calgary.
We have it all!! Though jobs ar tough right now because oil has taken a hit. Squamish is more like 12hrs away.

Yury · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Jenna,

Have you thought about California?

Yury wrote:Jenna, Have you thought about California?
Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to stay in the states! That would open up a world of possibilities if I were able to though.
Brad Warne wrote:Born and breed in Calgary. We have it all!! Though jobs ar tough right now because oil has taken a hit. Squamish is more like 12hrs away.
I think I will apply to some firms there then! It sounds like a pretty rad place. Thanks!
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Jenna Steff wrote: Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to stay in the states! That would open up a world of possibilities if I were able to though.
Are you a fugitive?
FrankPS wrote: Are you a fugitive?
... maybe
Nah I came to school here and was able to work for a year after my undergrad.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Looking for a new home in Canada (climb/work)"
in the Community Forum