Five Ten Aescent vs. Guide Tennie approach shoe?

Original Post
Matt Rhodin · · Denver, CO · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 70

Don't know which ones to get.. I love the toe box feature of the guide tennie as it seems it will make them climb incredibly well, however I've been seeing a lot of reviews saying they fall apart very quickly. The aescents seem great. I love the style and they get mostly postive reviews. Just wondering how they climb compared to the tennies. Would love to hear someone's two cents! Thanks.

NorCalNomad · · San Francisco · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 105

Owned both for a few years

Guide Tennie
-more towards a low top hiker now
-stiffer (done gym 5.11's in them no problem)
-less breathable / hotter
-beefy molded protective toe box
-better for long approaches, heavy loads, and aid in relation to the Aescent

Aescents
-more like a regular sneaker
-softer than a guide tennie but still climbs great, just not the edging power that a guide tennie has, but your foot is closer to your outsole. (also done gym 5.11's in them no problem)
-more breathable
-shorter suede toe box which I actually liked more than a guide tennie for crack climbing in them
-My favorite shoe for flat pedal mtb riding
-imo a much better every day/ do everything shoe

Seth Kane · · Bozeman, Montana · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 153

If you want to climb 5th class in them or use strapon crampons or want them for big walls get the guide tennies. If just for hiking to crags/everyday use get the ascents.

IMO the durability on the guide tennies is hit or miss. My current pair is in good shape after three walls 500+ miles hiking and a few dozen OWs, but I've had pairs fall apart in less then a hundred miles hiking and no hard climbing use. I prefer the older style guide tennies if you can find em.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 205

The new guide tennies fucking suck, fine leather and fine rubber, get la sportiva, much better quality and much more durable.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply