Mountain Project Logo

Suggestion: Private Ticks Option

Jason Giblin · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 15

I would love to see this. I, like many others, use the ticks as a personal diary of sorts, and I like to tick every pitch I climb for documentation purposes. However, I can see how that is irritating to other users to see my multiple ticks on a route (especially my 9 ticks on Ultrasaurus haha).

Nick Ibarluzea · · Boulder · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 5
Ziggy Chalkdust wrote:

why don't you use excel or similar?

Excel and plenty of other methods would work. But you'd end up copying over a bunch of info that's already on MP about the route and it's just more effort if you have to use multiple tools to keep a public and private climbing log. This'd be a relatively small feature, seems like it'd be used and appreciated, and doesn't force anyone to change how they use the existing tick feature (you can keep ticking everything as public if you want).

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

This is how you can record private ticks:

Jim Turner · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 295
FrankPS wrote: This is how you can record private ticks:

Can you talk to my employer?  I insist on using carbon copies for paperwork, but they insist I go electronic.  Has something to do with the 21st century blah blah.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Jim Turner wrote:

Can you talk to my employer?  I insist on using carbon copies for paperwork, but they insist I go electronic.  Has something to do with the 21st century blah blah.

Ha! Your employer is paying you to do paperwork however they want. Is MP paying you? (I realize you are using an analogy).

Sometimes, simpler is better. A digital solution isn't always necessary.
Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 304
FrankPS wrote:

Ha! Your employer is paying you to do paperwork however they want. Is MP paying you? (I realize you are using an analogy).

Sometimes, simpler is better. A digital solution isn't always necessary.

Do you mean it's a little odd to ask a free-to-use website for a free way of privately logging and storing one's own ticks that no one else cares about? The outrage!

Woodson · · Park City, Ut. · Joined May 2009 · Points: 180

There’s a lot of different input on this subject matter. I have used the tick list for many years, and this was one of the many great features of this website for me.

It has been a great record collector for me as to how many routes I’ve done year to year, with who, etc. But, it’s entirely up to the individual to say if they redpoint, pinkpoint, flash blahblah. That is not important to me. I just say lead, follow, or TR. That’s all I’ve used it for. And it’s not a ‘spray’ when you tick, it’s a good recording tool.

Maybe someone is looking, maybe not. Who gives a shit anyway? I use it, and will continue to whether or not it’s made private. Why would that deter an individual from using it? I don’t know. 

I suspect that a lot of people don’t use it because it is a public record, so I can see the privacy argument. 

Chris Blatchley · · Somerville, MA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 7

Ticks can tell entire stories. Remember Tod?

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,107

i am not to worried about the private ticks thing, but one thing i would find very handy is a simple private notes thing.  just a simple little box to store some simple notes.  that way, for a given route i could write down key beta (ie save a blue alien for the top, hidden left pocket at 5th bolt, etc).  this would be handy for those times when you come back to do a route and want to jog your memory.  the nice thing is that it would be private, so it wouldn't "screw up other people's onsight", etc.

Jon H · · MD/DC · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 121
slim wrote: i am not to worried about the private ticks thing, but one thing i would find very handy is a simple private notes thing.  just a simple little box to store some simple notes.  that way, for a given route i could write down key beta (ie save a blue alien for the top, hidden left pocket at 5th bolt, etc).  this would be handy for those times when you come back to do a route and want to jog your memory.  the nice thing is that it would be private, so it wouldn't "screw up other people's onsight", etc.

This would be the best implementation, IMO.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Suggestion: Private Ticks Option"