Mountain Project Logo

How do you become a dirtbag?

Will Tabor · · Seattle · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 5

Never been one, probably won't be one. But I've definitely taken lots of extended road trips for other sports. freecampsites.net is pretty money.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114
Happiegrrrl wrote:If someone needs to be taught how to live on the road cheaply, it's likely they are not qualified to be a "dirtbag." A Fauxbo(a word I have coined which stands for "Faux Bohemian"), certainly, but a genuine dirtbag, no. I suggest this because, part of genuinely living on the cheap comes out of necessity, and necessity is the mother of invention.
Lock the thread. This is the only correct answer.
doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264
that guy named seb wrote:1. Look homeless 2. Smell homeless 4. have a giants rack (nuts not boobs) 5. climb 5.13 (minimum) 6. your diet consists of pasta and very little else 7. live out of what ever vehicle you currently own 7a. if you don't own a vehicle hitchhike 8. make a instagram account and post non stop AND THERE YOU HAVE IT my top 8 ways to be a dirtbag, it's the same thing to get sponsored though, just make 5.13 to 5.14.
#5 and #6 are mutually exclusive - every dirtbag knows that once they spend quite a while on the road.

#6 - pasta takes too long to cook. couscous and ramen are more fuel friendly.

#7 and #8 disqualify you from being a true DB. 7a FTW!
Gaar · · Springdale / Zion UT / Moab · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,483

Give your parents back their money and sprinter

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

Isn't methamphetamine manufacture the modern solution?

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
Billy G wrote:Cool! How do you get the money to travel?
climbing friend,

the doing of the polishing of the nuts and lubricating the stem, or the sexual favors

also selling the green dope and the white dope

or make bold business plan for crushing fish heads with you bare hand and selling the delicious oils
Troy Halm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 15

Learn where BLM and national forest land is.

Become Buddhist and give away all of your worldly possessions...except climbing gear.

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469
Jake C wrote:Food Stamps and life hacks. Just get out there and learn from other dirtbags
Here's a useful "life hack" for dirt bags

Mmm good
christoph benells · · tahoma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 306

work at a ski resort in the winter,

collect unemployment all summer.

and noone will hire you since you have no phone or address!

Ty Rack · · San Diego, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 235

"Hustle" = sell drugs

Also, check out dumpster diving!

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Spoken like a true white privileged male Billy.

Brock B. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 211
mediocre wrote:Spoken like a true white privileged male Billy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0diJNybk0Mw
Rusty Shackleford · · Boulder County aka The Cent… · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0
Jake C wrote:Food Stamps and life hacks. Just get out there and learn from other dirtbags
Last I heard James Lucas started working for climbing magazine. Good luck finding any dirtbags.
Billy G · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 20

Call it what you want, but working for Climbing Magazine does not buy a living. That's still dirt bagging full value. In this country earning that little for the work done is simply unethical.

Out of all the people I've known of who post here or ST the only person who qualifies to be the category of full fledged dirt bag is Happygurrrl. I would like to hear her story in detail and her ways of surviving as a single van dwelling female for years. I'm not sure about her age...I would say 50's. She sounds like a very interesting person who has been down and out and came out on top of the game on many occasions, well at least from what I gather. She would be a perfect reality show candidate too.

Fat girl, get off my thread.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Billy G wrote:Fat girl, get off my thread.
It's not your thread. It's our thread, now, Elena.

What's your beef? It doesn't pertain to you neither can you share first hand experiences. Enjoy what some people have to say. You may learn something.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

I just bought a poofy jacket at REI on sale with my dividend AND I'm going camping next month with my friends from the gym,I'm feeling pretty dirtbaggy!!! I also went 2.5 days without a shower once so I know dirtbag believe me.

I was inspired and greatly influenced by 2 particular individuals to start living in a van, which in turn turned out the be the greatest thing. Now I'm able to stay mobile, never needing a hotel room or pay rent, utilities, and save massive cha ching to be able to afford rad toys. Sometimes I wonder what took me so long. But .....I wasn't ready. So everyone has their path. I believe that the dirtbag life nowadays is purely by choice and some people took it to an art form. The valley boys were hobos first and happened to be climbers. Times changed now. Caravaning has become the new American Dream. Tiny living is all the rage now and less is indeed more. We are at the dawn of a new era and it is super exciting. If you don't see it you must be blind.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "How do you become a dirtbag?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started