Beginner looking for some guidance :)

Original Post
Erin Lawrence · Apr 10, 2016 · Broomfield, CO · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
Hi All!

I am looking to get into climbing but don't really have any friends that are interested. I'm looking for a partner in the Boulder area who is willing to teach me everything and anything about climbing. I have really only climbed in gyms. I went ice climbing for the first time this winter and that is something I also want to get into next winter. Please let me know if anyone is interested!

Thanks!

FrankPS · Apr 10, 2016 · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
A great way to start is by hiring a guide for a day or two. You can also read some books to learn some techniques and terms.

Hiring a guide is pricey, but it's worth it to learn correctly and safely.

Stich · Apr 10, 2016 · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,230
Climbing gyms offer classes as well with their guides. Then, there's Meetup.

http://www.meetup.com/rockclimbing-80/

James Sweeney · Apr 10, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0
Erin,

Try this Meetup Boulder Rock Climbing group. They look fairly active inside and out,

Looks like Stich beat me to it.

mark felber · Apr 10, 2016 · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 28
Climbing gyms, REI, and guide services all offer group classes in outdoor climbing if hiring your own guide for the day is too much money. Group classes can also be a way to connect with partners.

Michael Hitzel · Apr 15, 2016 · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0
Hey Erin. If you haven't found anyone to show you the ropes by the 25th, I'll be back in town from work and can teach ya. I'm somewhat new to the area and looking for a partner anyway!

The Blueprint Part Dank · Apr 15, 2016 · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 40
PM sent, I've taught folks at multiple stages of learning to climb, from the basics of tying in and belaying, to learning to lead multipitch ice. I love teaching/coaching. And am always happy to take on a new pupil as it were

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply