Mountain Project Logo

Boulder or Sport?

Original Post
Seabass · · Costa Mesa, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 40

I'm going to Oahu in May and though I want to swim, hike and all, I also want to climb. I was wondering what you all suggest bouldering, and if so where to rent a pad, or sport?

Joshua Munoz · · Honolulu, HI · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 100

Go to Waimea bay for sure. Great swimming and cliff jumping. And there's bouldering on the beach. No need for a crash pad, the sand catches your fall!

thanks Josh, definitely will do! Any other suggestions of things to do besides climb? we will be there for about 2 weeks. I know Diamond head is pretty popular, and someone told me to check out Manoa Falls.

Joshua Munoz · · Honolulu, HI · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 100

Yes, diamond head is a very popular hike, not very scenic until you're at the top. If you're up for an adventure I suggest you hike the olomana trail. You can hike along a trail up to three peaks, each peak harder to get to from the previous one. Pill box is another hike similar to diamond head, short, but an epic view at the top. Makapu'u is a super fun, secluded beach. There is also some really scenic climbing along the makapu'u cliffs. Also, eat at marukame udon sometime. The best udon noodles on the island. Long lines sometimes, but worth the wait.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Seabass wrote:I'm going to Oahu in May and though I want to swim, hike and all, I also want to climb. I was wondering what you all suggest bouldering, and if so where to rent a pad, or sport?
It depends on what you like. Are you a sport climber? If you are, it's worth bringing your gear. Our sport routes, while limited in quantity, are just as good as any on the mainland. You can view photos of the routes on this website under the Route Guide tab.

thanks josh, i'm definitely up for the adventure of doing those, they sound awesome!, and thanks for the food recommendation!

20, I primarily boulder, but do enjoy sport climbing as well and have all the gear for it. Hardest i've led so far is a 10b/c. I think the thing maybe holding me back was my knowledge of quality.. and difficulty, seems like a lot of harder climbs from what i've seen on MP. But i do think id be a bit sad if i dint lead something tall

Thomas Abney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

I will suggest you swimming and cliff jumping.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hawaii
Post a Reply to "Boulder or Sport?"