Mountain Project Logo

Getting myself to Devil's Lake

Original Post
Jairo Villa · · Chicago, Illinois · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 25

Hey peeps,

I'm trying to head to Devil's Lake memorial day weekend for some climbing! Unfortunately i won't have a car available so I'm planning to stay at the local city, Baraboo. Does anyone know if there is a bus or some sort of public transportation that takes people from the city to the lake?
If not I think it's only like 4 miles so worst case scenario I'll make the hike each day.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you

James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,166

Where in Baraboo are you staying?

James M Schroeder wrote:Where in Baraboo are you staying?
Hey James!

I'm not sure where Im staying yet. Originally I was hoping to camp at the lake but it's all taken up. So now im just looking for different options. Ideally I'm going to find a cheap hotel close to the bus or public transportation that will get me to the lake.

Or maybe I'll just rent a car and sleep in it for the week!
matt poker · · Oostburg, WI · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

If I was you I would keep trying to reserve a site several times a day. People always cancel their reservations, and if you check availability often enough you shouldn't have a problem getting one.

James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,166

Jairo,

Matt's got a point.

You could also check with Wheeler's Campground which is just outside the park.

I don't think there is a bus from Baraboo to the park either.

WHatever you end up doing, stay in touch, I'll be around that weekend, but I've got plans for Sunday and Monday.

Cheers,
James

powhound84 wrote:Wheeler's is the spot! I had heard a few stories on review sites that made me avoid it until recently but upon James giving them props last summer, I checked it out and it's by far the nicest campground I have stayed up there. Was hoping to stay last week when we were there but they don't open til April 15. The owners are great, the bathrooms are clean and it's quiet!
Ah you know I looked at Wheeler's Campground and also looked at Nordic Pine. They both had great reviews but Nordic was about a mile closer to the lake so I went with Nordic since I'll be hiking to the lake with my crash pad each day!

Thank you all for the advice. I cant wait for this trip!
James M Schroeder wrote:WHatever you end up doing, stay in touch, I'll be around that weekend, but I've got plans for Sunday and Monday. Cheers, James
I will definitely keep in touch! Theres a high chance it'll be just my shoes, my crash pad and myself on this trip so it'll be nice to climb with others. Looking forward to it
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Getting myself to Devil's Lake"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started