question about hauling on walls

Original Post
Stark · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 10

Hey guys going to finally do my first el cap route (other than freeblast and east butt) and had a question or three about gear. Any of you wall junkies please chime in.

Haul rope - is there any reason a "canyoneering rope" wouldn't work for hauling a bag under 150 lbs. Have access to a 9.6mm x 60m. Seems like the canyoneering rope is very similar to other statics and the typical stats for elongation seems to be like low 2% for "standard static" lines vs. low 4% for canyoneering ropes

Protraxion vs. Minitraxion - I have a mini (not the micro) that's in great shape. With the above setup is there any reason the minitrax wouldn't work.

thanks

Ryan Huetter · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 255

Canyoneering rope should work fine. I personally like having >10mm ropes on walls, but if you just have a small bag might work fine.

Main reason Pro Traxion is preferred is the larger diameter, meaning less friction for you to overcome. Again, for a short (time-wise) route like the Nose, you should be able to 1:1 haul with a Mini without much fuss.

csproul · · Davis, CA · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 330

both will work just fine

Rob Warden...Space Lizard · · Between Zion, Vegas, LA, an... · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 115

I use 8.3mm Imaly rope, its a fine option, because of low cost, low stretch, thick sheath. it also has an unbraided Core which means lower stretch and less spinning when free hauling

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply