Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Areas Close to Airports

Original Post
Taylor Krosbakken · · Duluth, MN · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 1,086

I just started working on getting my pilots license and once I get my license I will have access to a small plane for relatively cheap.

So my big question is, what are some climbing areas that have a small airport within a few miles?

I am in Minnesota, so I was thinking Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, but open for ideas in other areas of the US as well. I'm looking for mulipitch as a priority but open to sport climbing as well. Bouldering is out because I don't think a pad will fit in the plane, and I'm not really into that.

Cheers

Andy Bandos · · CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 760

Red rocks comes to mind

CTdave · · Victor, Id. · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 221

The Tetons have an airport right at the base of em

CTdave wrote:The Tetons have an airport right at the base of em
Now thats what I'm talking about!
Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

Hulett, WY- Devil's Tower- Multi
Custer, SD- Rushmore/Needles- Multi/Sport

Close but ground transport may be tough. Rapid City, SD or Gillette, WY would have rental cars but a bit further.

Sheridan, WY- Sheridan Area climbs- Mostly sport
Cody, WY- Cody area climbs- Multi/Sport
Worland, WY- Tensleep- Sport
Lander, WY- Sinks- Sport (ground transport is probably an issue here)
Cheyenne, WY- Vedavoo

Thanks Jason,

I had thought of DT. Vedavoo would be awesome. haven't been there yet.

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

Way out west.... E95 close to Cochise. KSDL close to the McDowell's and Pinnacle Peak. KFLY in Colorado Springs. KBDU is in Boulder CO. KCNY in Moab. I live in the west and fly lots of stuff within 10-40 miles most of the airports have courtesy cars you can borrow for the day.. Good luck with your license!!!

Well it sounds like there's plenty out there.

So a secondary question since it sounds like people do this, is how do logistics work? courtesy car would be awesome. hitch a ride? hike if its close enough. Pack a couple bikes maybe.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Red Rock is about 20 min from the Vegas Airport and is a multi-pitch heaven. Rent a car?

JeffL · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 65

What type aircraft? Stay away from Jackson Hole and the wind rivers if you're in a single engine prop.

Pogie · · Breckenridge, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 45
JeffL wrote:What type aircraft? Stay away from Jackson Hole and the wind rivers if you're in a single engine prop.
Yeah, be very careful about where you fly. Small planes and big mountains can be dangerous.
cdec · · SLC, UT · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 654

Moab, SLC, Stanley, ID just about any place with climbing has an airport that you can land a small plane.

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635

This is a cool topic; I like the idea of being able to fly to weekend climbing destinations.

I know that the small Fayetteville airport is about five minutes from the New River Gorge.

Ryan Nevius · · Perchtoldsdorf, AT · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,837

FWIW (I have a PPL), while flying all over the country to climb sounds awesome, I've found that it's generally easier (and WAY cheaper) to just book a commercial flight and rent a car. Of course, if you have an unlimited budget and a Lancair IV, flying all over to climb sounds awesome.

JeffL wrote:What type aircraft? Stay away from Jackson Hole and the wind rivers if you're in a single engine prop.
Yup single engine prop. Cirrus 20 and a 22.

Don't worry, I'm not flying there tomorrow or anything I have a whopping 1.4 hours.

I just wanted some ideas to dream about, and y'all have pulled through. Thanks!
Ryan Nevius wrote:FWIW (I have a PPL), while flying all over the country to climb sounds awesome, I've found that it's generally easier (and WAY cheaper) to just book a commercial flight and rent a car. Of course, if you have an unlimited budget and a Lancair IV, flying all over to climb sounds awesome.
Depending on where I go i think it will usually be in between the price of a commercial ticket and driving. and depending on where I can land, it will be much faster than either options making a weekend trip possible, where i would otherwise have to take vacation time, which I have limited of.
Preston Rhea · · Mammoth Lakes · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 1,454
Rich Liang wrote:Bishop, CA ~35 Mins from Mammoth Airport
You may as well just land at the Bishop airport at that rate.
JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

Ibex (UT) is the ultimate plane access crag. Land on the giant dry lakebed / salt flat next to the crag. Don't go if it has rained recently.

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

Eldorado Canyon is a short drive from Rocky Mountain Metro. Not really bikable or hitch able, so you'd need a rental car

Dan Goldman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Kind of an old thread but, but lots of good tips. The NC/ Fayetteville New River Gorge looks promising for an east coaster - anyone know of any other convenient spots over here? Based out of Philly.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Beardsley Boulders, Phoenix, AZ.   

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing Areas Close to Airports"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started